View Mobile Site

NEWS FROM ACROSS CALIFORNIA

Text Size: Small Large Medium
POSTED April 10, 2014 8:37 p.m.

• Sea search suspended for missing boy: SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Rescue crews have suspended their search for a missing 14-year-old boy who disappeared while swimming with two family members at San Francisco’s Ocean Beach.

The U.S. Coast Guard on Thursday called off the search after boats, a helicopter and divers failed to locate the boy.

Authorities say the incident occurred Wednesday after the teen was swept out to sea by waves. The father attempted to rescue his son and also got into trouble.

The father and cousin were eventually rescued by a 17-year-old surfer, Tony Barbero, who used his board to help the boy get to shore.

Once on shore, crews revived the man with CPR.

Coast Guard Sector San Francisco commander Capt. Greg Stump says the accident is a reminder of beach hazards like sneaker waves and rip currents.

 

• FEDS CHARGE 4 CONNECTED TO FAILED CALIFORNIA BANK: SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Four men with connections to a failed Northern California bank have been charged with fraud, money laundering and other criminal charges.

The U.S. Attorney’s office in San Francisco announced Thursday that Marin County authorities had arrested developer Bijan Madjlessi, lawyer David Lonich and two former executives of the now-defunct Sonoma Valley Bank, Sean Cutting and Brian Melland.

The four are accused of conspiring before the bank’s closure in 2010 to loan Madjlessi a little more than $4 million so he could purchase a $30 million construction loan on which he had defaulted. The loan was being held by Freddie Mac and Madjlessi was barred from bidding on it.

Federal prosecutors allege the purchase was carried out by a straw buyer.

All four were arrested and released on $250,000 bail on Wednesday.

 

• SUSPECTED GUNMAN CAUGHT AFTER SCHOOL LOCKDOWNS: TUSTIN (AP) — Police have arrested a suspected gunman after an hours-long search that prompted seven Orange County public schools to lock their gates.

Tustin police chief Charles Celano says 20-year-old Henry Herrera was arrested Thursday on suspicion of brandishing a firearm at a police officer and illegal possession of a weapon. Authorities haven’t found the gun.

Celano says police spotted a man carrying a rifle or sawed-off shotgun in a densely-populated neighborhood earlier in the day. Celano says the man was confronted and an officer-involved shooting ensued.

The man fled and was found running several hours later. Celano says no one was injured.

During the manhunt, school district spokesman Mark Eliot says seven public schools were placed on what’s called a “soft lockdown.” Gates were locked and visitors were asked for identification.

Commenting is not available.

Commenting not available.

Please wait ...