View Mobile Site

Rounds up, revenue down

Golf pro’s incentive contract not yet paying dividends

Text Size: Small Large Medium
Rounds up, revenue down

A golfer practices his swing at the Manteca course.

HIME ROMERO/The Bulletin


POSTED May 20, 2014 1:40 a.m.

Play at Manteca’s golf course was up in 2013 by 1,188 rounds but green fee revenue was down $42,242.

The first quarter of this year shows revenue is up $4,072 over the same period in 2013 but rounds played are down 304.

That mixed bag of numbers is being presented to the Manteca City Council tonight as part of an update on how well an incentive deal hammered out with Golf Pro Alan Thomas is working.

The council in March 2013 approved giving the golf pro 90 percent of everything he generates above $792,874 a year in green fees during 2013, 2014 and 2015. The city would receive the other 10 percent.

It is the flip of what happens with the first $792,874 in green fees where the city receives 90 percent and the golf pro 10 percent. The $792,974 represents what the course generated in green fees during 2011. Green fee revenue has been dropping for the last several years. Green fees in 2013 reached only $738,350.

Thomas has attributed the decline in play to increased competition as private clubs are more aggressive going after players.

Thomas wants to employ some of the same tactics including marketing and making the actual rounds smoother and faster. But in order to do that, he needed money to hire additional staff.

The deal as negotiated requires Thomas to shoulder all of the risk in hiring additional staff. But if he succeeds, he’ll be rewarded with the lion’s share of increased revenues.

The council meets tonight at 7 p.m. at the Civic Center, 1001 W. Center St.

Commenting is not available.

Commenting not available.

Please wait ...