View Mobile Site

House fire causes $300K in damages

Text Size: Small Large Medium
POSTED February 10, 2009 4:22 a.m.
Twenty-two Manteca firemen responded to a predawn fire in a home in the 400 block of Seville Way in north Manteca near Crestwood Park Sunday morning that caused an estimated $300,000 in damage.
Damage to the structure was estimated at $250,000 by firefighters with another $50,000 in losses to the contents.
It was shortly after 5 a.m. when firemen received a call of an alarm sounding at the residence.  While they were responding the incident it was upgraded from just an alarm to an actual structure fire in the home.
The first engine responding to the scene reported seeing flames and smoke coming from the kitchen and the living room areas of the one story residence on the west end of the block and called for backup fire units. Four more engines came from Manteca stations in addition to the rescue unit and one engine from the Lathrop-Manteca Rural Fire Department.
A Manteca Ambulance unit also responded to the scene as did patrol cars from the police department to monitor traffic in the neighborhood.
A lone resident in the home was found outside with burns to her forearms. The smoke detectors in the residence had  activated after the fire was reportedly torched by candle left burning on a table. The woman was treated at the scene by paramedics.
The first engine company attacked the fire with a ¾-inch line.  The second engine reportedly pulled another hose line and attacked the fire through the kitchen.  Other crews checked for fire extension, and salvaged many of the occupant’s possessions by covering them with tarps.
Firemen said the structure suffered serious fire damage in the living room, kitchen, hallway, and bathroom.
Heat and smoke damage was visible throughout the residence, firemen said.  Division Chief Randy Sutton warned, “Candles should never be placed near combustibles and left unattended.”
Monday morning there was little evidence of the fire as the home had been completely boarded up by a construction crew. A temporary chain link fence established a perimeter around the building. Two untouched vehicles were parked near the boarded up garage door inside the fence.
Of the responding firemen, 16 were career men and six were volunteers.
The firemen were on the scene for some four hours involved with clean up operations.  PG&E crews arrived on the scene and disconnected the electrical and gas services.
Commenting is not available.

Commenting not available.

Please wait ...