View Mobile Site

Lathrop Road work ruptures natural gas line

Text Size: Small Large Medium
POSTED September 27, 2017 1:11 a.m.

One of the core complaints that Adriana Lopez had with the proposed Lathrop Road expansion project was safety.
And after a handful of construction snags left her home without water and severed land-line phone communications this week, her safety concerns became real when crews punctured a PG&E gas line Tuesday afternoon and essentially limited access to the residences to prevent the leaking gas from igniting.
PG&E  spokesperson J.D. Guidi said at 5:27 p.m. Tuesday a third party crew struck a 2/3-inch gas line while digging.  Responding PG&E crews stopped the flow of gas by 6:52 p.m.
According to Lopez, as of 7:30 p.m. no one had informed residents if they were allowed to go outside, or start their vehicles. They were also ordered to shut all of their doors and windows and instructed not to start their vehicles, light candles, or smoke until the issue had been resolved.
“One of the things that we talked about was safety and now we’ve had several things happen – from a water line that was hit that cut off our water for a while to the telecommunication lines going down and now a gas line that was ruptured,” Lopez said. “I guess these are just some of the things that weren’t prepared for – preventative measures would have been nice.”
Lopez was an outspoken opponent to the Lathrop Road widening project citing traffic concerns and the impact on homeowners as her chief complaint to planners and elected officials that opted to move forward with construction anyway. Even though she held out on selling a piece of her property to the city for the project – the only one of three homeowners who didn’t agree to a purchase price – the project was restructured not to impact her property.
Teichert Construction is in charge of the project, and Lathrop Road has been closed to through traffic for several weeks and will remain closed until mid-December to allow crews to complete the necessary work.
But according to Sharon Land, her husband – who as a resident was supposed to be able to access his own home during construction – was forced to park and walk in after getting off of work Tuesday evening.
“I’m not even sure if I can make dinner at this point and we can’t really get in our cars and go anywhere,” she said. “Some people have to leave for work and they’re not sure what they’re going to do. It’s not fair to them.”

To contact reporter Jason Campbell email or call 209.249.3544.

Commenting is not available.

Commenting not available.

Please wait ...