View Mobile Site

Buffaloes can’t recover from early minute lapse

Text Size: Small Large Medium
POSTED September 3, 2010 2:42 a.m.
In the first 10 minutes of Manteca High’s 3rd Annual Buffalo Cup opener, the Buffaloes found themselves looking up at a 2-0 deficit to the Los Banos Tigers. The Buffaloes didn’t flinch; battling back to tie things up, but a goal in the final two minutes forced Manteca to deal with a 3-2 loss to the Tigers Thursday at Manteca High.

Los Banos came out on fire, piercing the Manteca keeper with two shots inside of 10 seconds before the Tigers took advantage of the third rebound and placed it in the back of the net. The Buffaloes’ intensity turned up instantly, but it would take until the 16th minute before Manteca would get on the scoreboard with a Jose Maravilla goal.

“I think it was really back and forth at times,” Manteca head coach Justin Coenenberg said. “Defensively, we are having some problems. We are not staying goal side of the offensive players; it got a little better in the second-half, but we’re still moving people around trying to see where people fit.”

Manteca (1-3) will try and put two halves of quality soccer together Saturday, during its second-round contest at 9 a.m. The Buffaloes will take on the loser of the Livingston-Petaluma contest. Seeing their play from the second-half early on, will be the turnaround Manteca is looking for.

“Every game so far we have tried some different things,” Coenenberg said. “We are really still just trying to find our identity here.

“Effort has not been a problem with this group, they never give up and they haven’t quit.”

Sierra 2, Edison 1
Sierra High was able to get in the win column with a solid come-from-behind victory Thursday at Sierra.
Sierra (1-2) trailed Edison 1-0, but responded, getting the crucial goal late in the second-half when Nikko Gonzalez made good on his first goal.

Aaron Montes added the Timberwoves’ first goal, on an assist from Gonzalez.
Commenting is not available.

Commenting not available.

Please wait ...