View Mobile Site

Bay Area briefs

Text Size: Small Large Medium
POSTED January 2, 2012 6:19 p.m.

Mavericks big wave surf contest window opens
HALF MOON BAY . (AP) — The three-month window for the Mavericks big wave surfing contest is open, and while the beach will be closed during the event, organizers will detail at a public meeting how people can watch.
The San Jose Mercury News reports that officials on Thursday will hold the meeting to discuss parking and public safety.
The beach access ban was caused partly due to injuries at the 2010 event, when large waves surged into the crowd, leaving some spectators with bruises and broken bones.
This year's event will be broadcast for the public on the grounds of the Oceano Hotel & Spa at Pillar Point.
The contest — which occurs only if weather and swell conditions are just right — has a time window that ends March 31.
San Jose police ID victim in fatal home attack
SAN JOSE  (AP) — Neighbors say the suspect in a deadly machete attack on a woman at a San Jose home was in a relationship with the woman's daughter.
Police identified the victim Monday as 65-year-old Yvonne Marie Kirk.
Sagal Sadiq initially told authorities that she and Kirk were both victims in an attack by a male intruder Friday night. Officers found Kirk dead at the scene and Sadiq covered in blood with non-life-threatening injuries.
Police later determined that Sadiq was the attacker and arrested her on suspicion of murder.
Police investigate death of man found in car trunk
MOSS LANDING  (AP) — Monterey County authorities have identified the body of a man found in the trunk of an abandoned car by a state parks lifeguard in Moss Landing.
The body of 24-year-old Felipe Bravo Jr. was discovered Sunday morning during a routine patrol by the lifeguard, who investigated the vehicle after finding it had been left with its windows open and trunk popped.
Monterey County sheriff's Cmdr. Jerry Teeter tells the newspaper that the vehicle was dumped near the Old Salinas River channel.
Teeter said the case is being treated as a homicide, and that evidence collected at the scene indicated foul play.
Bravo is from Los Banos, and an autopsy was being conducted to determine his cause of death.
Monterey Co man accused in New Year's crime spree
SAN ARDO  (AP) — Authorities have arrested an intoxicated Monterey County man who they say broke into a mobile home, set it on fire and assaulted two people on New Year's Day.
Sheriff's deputies were called to a San Ardo mobile home park around 5 a.m. on reports of a man running around knocking on doors.
The Salinas Californian reports that 25-year-old David Anthony Chavez allegedly broke into one of the homes, assaulted the homeowner and vandalized the place. Broken glass sliced through electrical wiring on Christmas lights and started the fire.
Deputy Arras Wilson says that as Chavez fled, he encountered a man and seriously injured him, apparently to eliminate witnesses.
Wilson says Chavez also spit blood and saliva into the mouth of a responding firefighter.

 

Commenting is not available.

Commenting not available.

Please wait ...