View Mobile Site

State news briefs

Text Size: Small Large Medium
POSTED January 10, 2012 7:07 p.m.

Man arrested for death threat against Oakdale mayor
OAKDALE  (AP) — Investigators say a man who threatened the life of Oakdale Mayor Pat Paul has been arrested in San Francisco.
 Jonathan Pitts, 41, sent the mayor an email last month expressing anger over Oakdale's role in the foreclosure of a 98-year-old man's home.
Oakdale police Chief Marty West says Pitts was making threats to kill the mayor based on erroneous information.
Paul says the elderly homeowner is still in his home.
The former Oakdale resident was arrested on Jan. 6 by San Francisco police. Pitts has been booked into the Stanislaus County Jail for investigation of making death threats.
Man killed, 2 hurt in Stockton drive-by shooting
STOCKTON (AP) — Stockton police are investigating the city's second homicide of the year after a man was killed during a drive-by shooting.
Officers found the man's body and two other victims who were wounded Monday night outside an apartment building in north Stockton.
Police have not released the victims' names, details about the shooting or any suspect information.
Rocha says it's too soon to know if the shooting was gang-related, though he described the area as being known for gang and drug activity.
Monday's fatal drive-by shooting was Stockton's second within a week. Police say 16-year-old Alejandro Vizcarra, a student at Edison High School, was gunned down by a passing vehicle while outside his aunt's home last week.
Stockton had a record 58 homicides in 2011.
 No new evidence in Natalie Wood case
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Los Angeles County Sheriff's say no new evidence has been uncovered in the death of Natalie Wood and that her death is still considered an accident.
The Los Angeles Times reports that several weeks of interviews and other investigative work have not uncovered any evidence the death was a homicide.
Sheriff's chief of detectives William McSweeney says cold cases like Wood's are never really closed and detectives are looking at some aspects of the case.
Natalie Wood died on the evening of Nov. 28, 1981, when the 43-year-old actress was boating off Catalina Island with her husband Robert Wagner and actor Christopher Walken.
The investigation was reopened in November, when detectives say several sources came forward with new information.
LA schools face $543M budget deficit for 2012-13
LOS ANGELES (AP) — The Los Angeles Unified Schools superintendent says the nation's second-largest school district is facing a $543 million budget shortfall for the next academic year.
John Deasy (DAY'-zee) told the school board Tuesday that if voters approve Gov. Jerry Brown's tax plan, that would only cover about $270 million of the projected deficit.
Deasy says he is working on a plan to further streamline district administration in order to stave off cuts affecting the classroom, as well a plan to ask voters to approve a parcel tax. A parcel tax was defeated in 2010.
Thousands of employees could also face layoffs.
The school board also wants Deasy to come up with a plan to stem declining enrollment, which further reduces district revenue. About 15,000 students leave the district annually.
Deputies use stun gun
on Sac Metro air passenger
SACRAMENTO (AP) — Airport officials in Sacramento say local authorities used a stun gun on an airline passenger who refused to complete the security screening process.
Sacramento International Airport spokeswoman Karen Doron says Sacramento County sheriff's deputies shocked the man several times with Tasers after Transportation Security Administration officials asked them to intervene Tuesday afternoon.
Doron says the man is no longer at the airport, but could not immediately say where he had been taken. He has not been identified.
No details were released about the incident. Doron says it delayed the security checkpoint for a while, but no passengers missed flights.
TSA spokesman Nico Melendez says he cannot comment.
Nearly 50 arrests in
cockfighting raid
VICTORVILLE (AP) — Nearly 50 people have been arrested and 92 birds seized during a raid on a Southern California desert cockfighting operation.
Days before the Sunday morning raid, San Bernardino County officials announced a crackdown on the illegal blood sport and released a video of roosters slashing at each other with steel blades attached to their legs.
The Victorville Daily Press reports about 300 people attended Sunday's cockfight in a barn arena in the Baldy Mesa area, a community between Victorville and Hesperia.
Property owner Fernando Hernandez and most of the spectators fled when deputies showed up.
Forty-seven people were arrested, mostly for being spectators. Six were booked for investigation of animal cruelty.
There were about 20 dead roosters. Deputies seized 92 live birds and about $21,000.
Doctor accused of
overbilling surrenders license
SALINAS. (AP) — A California doctor accused of fraudulently overbilling the state is surrendering his license.
Dr. David Hoban allegedly billed the state for 242 hours while he was chief psychiatrist at Salinas Valley State Prison in Soledad.
In November 2008, an indictment was filed against six doctors, including Hoban, in Monterey County Superior Court. It alleged the state prison was overbilled by $160,000.
The indictment claimed that the 68-year-old doctor falsified prison exit logs on 15 occasions in 2007. He allegedly wrote down later hours than the time he actually left the grounds.

 

Commenting is not available.

Commenting not available.

Please wait ...