View Mobile Site

State news briefs

Text Size: Small Large Medium
POSTED August 6, 2012 8:54 p.m.

Couple reports finding baby's body

FOLSOM . (AP) — Authorities are investigating how a baby reportedly found in the backyard of a Sacramento County couple's home died.

The couple has told police they returned to their Folsom home after a vacation on Sunday and found the baby. Police are not releasing its sex or race or saying whether it had been carried to full term.

But Folsom Police Sgt. Chris Emery says the infant had no obvious signs of trauma.

An autopsy is planned. The death is considered suspicious, but police don't know right now whether any crime was committed.

Police have no reason to believe the couple is connected to the baby.

101-year-old man found in hot car

CLOVIS  (AP) — A caretaker has been arrested after a 101-year-old man was found inside a car in a California parking lot as temperatures soared to 100 degrees.

Someone concerned about an elderly man in distress inside a car called Clovis police to the Wal-Mart parking lot on Saturday afternoon.

The man was taken to a hospital for examination. There are no details on his condition.

The 46-year-old caretaker was found inside the store an hour after police arrived in the parking lot.

The woman, whose name hasn't been disclosed, was arrested and booked at the Fresno County Jail for investigation of elder abuse.

Crews put out 5-alarm blaze in Sacramento

SACRAMENTO  (AP) — Firefighters have put out a five-alarm blaze that tore through a warehouse and an adjacent party decoration business in Sacramento, shooting flames 100 feet into the air.

Authorities say the blaze was first reported around 2 a.m. Monday. Firefighters who responded were confronted by flames through the roof of the 220,000-square-foot warehouse. They were limited to trying to douse it from the outside.

The fire also destroyed an adjacent business that supplied decorations such as balloons and centerpieces for events.

Ca. high court affirms death sentence in slaying

LOS ANGELES (AP) — California's Supreme Court has upheld the death sentence for a man convicted of killing a Los Angeles County sheriff's deputy in 1997.

In an opinion filed Monday, Justice Joyce L. Kennard rejects Enrique Parra Duenas' claims that the lower court made errors during his trial and constitutional challenges to state laws.

Duenas was convicted in 1998 of firing through the patrol car window and killing Deputy Michael Hoenig in South Gate.

Hoenig had spotted Duenas riding a bike erratically and tried to pull him over before Duenas opened fire.

Despite wearing a bulletproof vest, Hoenig was killed by bullets that hit his neck.

Girl, 7, drowns after disappearing in Merced River

BALLICO  (AP) — Family members are mourning the death of a 6-year-old girl from San Pablo who drowned Sunday in the Merced River.

Merced County search and rescue teams were called to the McConnell State Recreation Area, a park outside of Turlock, after Kairi Sanchez was reported missing around 3 p.m.

By 6 p.m. a sheriff's helicopter air crew spotted her body in the river.

Sheriff Mark Pazin says Kairi had been seen wading in the river shortly before she was reported missing. Her death appears to be an accidental drowning, but Pazin says an autopsy will be conducted.

2 girls die after van submerges in reservoir

OTAY MESA  (AP) — Two 5-year-old girls have died after a van they were in veered off a road and into a southern San Diego County reservoir.

The driver of the Kia Sedona was arrested on suspicion of driving drunk and losing control of the vehicle Sunday.

The California Highway Patrol said the van overturned at the bottom of an embankment and landed on its roof in the Otay Reservoir. The driver, 22-year-old Arlene Hernandez, and another adult passenger were able to free themselves. The girls were trapped inside and were pulled out of the water by U.S. Border Patrol agents and other responders.

The girls were airlifted to a hospital where they died.

Missing teen, suspected killer surrender

SAN DIEGO (AP) — Authorities say they are detaining a California man on suspicion of killing two men in his girlfriend's home before kidnapping her.

The Monterey County Sheriff's Department says 19-year-old Jusan Salazar Jr. is being held on $2.2 million bail in Monterrey County Jail in connection with the slayings.

Investigators initially believed 16-year-old Eunice Serrato was abducted after the July 28 incident in San Ardo. The couple surrendered near the Mexican border on Saturday.

Authorities say Serrato is back with her family. Details of the killings and a motive have not been released.

Embezzlement gets man 2½ year term

FRESNO (AP) — A former marketing director of a Central Valley frozen food company will serve time in prison for embezzling nearly $450,000 from the company.

Federal prosecutors say Mark George Jankowski was sentenced on Monday to two and a half years in prison and ordered to pay nearly $700,000 in restitution to his former employer, Ruiz Foods.

The 51-year-old Modesto man will also be on supervised probation once he gets out of prison and will have to complete 200 hours of community service.

Prosecutors say Jankowski embezzled the money between December 2004 and July 2010 by creating false invoices for sales and services, then authorized payments to the false vendors.

Dinuba-based Ruiz Foods is the maker of the El Monterey brand of frozen Mexican foods.

 

Commenting is not available.

Commenting not available.

Please wait ...