View Mobile Site

Bay Area briefs

Text Size: Small Large Medium
POSTED November 6, 2012 8:33 p.m.

SF leaders get dressing down by nudity activist

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — The Board of Supervisors got a dressing down during a hearing on a proposed San Francisco public nudity ban.

Gypsy Taub took off her clothes during Monday's hearing and had to be taken away by sheriff's deputies. She agreed to get dressed and wasn't arrested or cited.

Supervisor Scott Wiener proposed the law that would ban nudity on public streets, a law designed to get a group of naked men to stop lounging around on Castro district streets, among other things.

Speakers tussled over whether the Castro "naked guys" were a few harmless individuals just expressing themselves or a growing public nuisance.

Stolen Mojave Desert cross turns up in NorCal

HALF MOON BAY . (AP) — Authorities say a controversial cross honoring war dead that was stolen from its Mojave Desert perch two years ago has turned up hundreds of miles away in the San Francisco Bay area.

The San Mateo County Sheriff's Department was notified Monday that a large cross was tied to a fence post in Half Moon Bay. An attached note asked finders to contact authorities.

The National Park Service confirmed it's the same cross that vanished from Sunrise Rock in the Mojave Desert. The Sheriff's Department plans to return it.

The cross honoring war dead was taken in 2010 after the U.S. Supreme Court ruled it didn't violate separation of church and state because the public land it stood on was being transferred to a veterans group.

A replacement will be dedicated there on Sunday for Veterans Day.

3 caregivers jailed for infant's death

SAN RAFAEL  (AP) — A Northern California daycare center owner and two caregivers are in jail after an autopsy concluded a 4-month-old boy suffocated in bedding.

San Rafael police on Monday night arrested 44-year-old Magic Place Children's Center owner Claudia Gil, 49-year-old Sandra Del Socoro Alvarado Mendez and 28-year-old Lorena Huitron Jiminez.

They were booked for investigation of involuntary manslaughter and they remain in jail with bail set at $75,000 each.

The 4-month-old boy had been asleep for several hours and was found unresponsive on Oct. 23. He was pronounced dead at a hospital.

The coroner ruled Monday that the boy died of asphyxia by suffocation, due to obstruction of the external airway by bedding. The manner of death was ruled accidental.

Murder defendant tells jury he's guilty

MARTINEZ  (AP) — A double murder defendant has told a Northern California jury to convict him quick so he can see "Monday Night Football" at the jailhouse.

The 49-year-old Nathan Burris used a shotgun to kill his ex-girlfriend and her male friend at the Richmond-San Rafael Bridge toll plaza in August 2009.

Burris, who is representing himself in the Contra Costa County Superior Court trial, snapped his fingers on Monday and told jurors he's guilty.

He said he has no remorse and no regrets. He asked them to convict him quickly so he can watch football on TV.

Burris faces a death penalty phase of trial if he's convicted of murder with special circumstances of lying in wait and killing multiple victims.

 

Commenting is not available.

Commenting not available.

Please wait ...