View Mobile Site

Trailer park shooting suspect still at large

Homeless victim remains critical in Modesto hospital

Text Size: Small Large Medium
POSTED November 29, 2012 12:37 a.m.

Police are turning to the public for information on who was responsible for a Thanksgiving eve shooting at a trailer park in the 300 block of Moffat Boulevard at Sherman Avenue.

Public Information Officer Jason Hensley said a 40-year-old homeless transient was shot with a hand gun in the upper torso at about 5 p.m. Wednesday, November 21, that left him in critical condition.  Hensley said the man was immediately taken into surgery upon his arrival at Doctors Medical Center in Modesto.

As of yesterday – one week later – he remained in the Modesto hospital listed in stable condition.

A homeless woman he had befriended in the trailer park said he had been concerned for her when it began to rain and put together a makeshift tent with a tarp to keep the water off of her so that she could sleep and stay dry.  She said she had no idea who was responsible for shooting him and had been told he had died.

Others apparently had heard the same inaccurate news of his death and held a candlelight vigil at the park last weekend.

The shooting victim was said to have lived on and off in Manteca since early in the year and reportedly has relatives living in Stockton.

Anyone with information on the shooting or the person responsible is urged to call the South County Crime Stoppers at (209) 823-4636. They can remain anonymous while being eligible for a reward of up to $1,000.  Information may also be reported to senior detective Bill Walmer at 456-8222.

Commenting is not available.

Commenting not available.

Please wait ...