View Mobile Site

Bay Area briefs

Text Size: Small Large Medium
POSTED December 6, 2012 9:40 p.m.

CRABBERS STOP FISHING OVER PRICE DISPUTE: SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — San Francisco's Dungeness crab fleet is refusing to fish due to a dispute over the price of the tasty crustaceans.

The fishermen stayed in harbor Wednesday after hearing that fish brokers wanted to cut the price of fresh crab from $3 per pound to $1.80.

Buyers say the demand for Dungeness has dropped since Thanksgiving, leading to steep drops in retail prices.

Larry Collins of the Crab Boat Owners Association in San Francisco said hardworking fishermen from Half Moon Bay to Bodega Bay do not want to take a pay cut.

Whole Foods Markets, which only sells fresh crab, had already run out and were waiting for the strike to be resolved.

Last year a price dispute delayed crab fishing by weeks.

DIABETIC TEACHER LOSES SCHOOL DISTRICT LAWSUIT: REDWOOD CITY  (AP) — A diabetic teacher has lost a lawsuit claiming a California school district refused to accommodate his disabilities.

A San Mateo County jury deliberated just two hours on Tuesday before ruling against 43-year-old Manuel Delgado.

Delgado said he was a diabetic with an anxiety disorder and Sequoia Union High School leaders retaliated when he asked that he not be assigned to teach in multiple rooms and that he be given a classroom near a bathroom.

The 2010 lawsuit says the Menlo-Atherton High School principal then changed Delgado's schedule and assigned him to teach classes outside his expertise, some with troubled students.

The stress from those changes, according to the suit, exacerbated his medical condition.

A confidential settlement was announced last year, but the school district says Delgado backed out and decided to go ahead with a jury trial.

3 PLEAD NO CONTEST IN SJ GROUP HOME ABUSE: SAN JOSE,   (AP) — Three family members accused of running an unlicensed group home in an upscale San Jose neighborhood that was littered with excrement and overrun by dogs have pleaded no contest to abuse charges.

The San Jose Mercury News that 63-year-old Jennifer Ngo and her 25-year-old son, Charles Nguyen, entered the pleas on Tuesday, each to multiple counts of abuse. One of the family's adult daughters, Margarete Ngo, also pleaded.

Prosecutors say more than a dozen mentally ill men and women, many of them Vietnamese immigrants, stayed at the home. In addition to the deplorable conditions, some of the residents told authorities they were beaten, denied food and medication and had their Social Security and disability benefits taken.

Two other family members were also charged in the case. One of them, 72-year-old George Dac Nguyen, died while in jail.

 

Commenting is not available.

Commenting not available.

Please wait ...