View Mobile Site

Man arrested on suspicion of making threat

Text Size: Small Large Medium
POSTED December 18, 2012 6:48 p.m.



 

SUISUN CITY (AP) — A Northern California man was in custody Tuesday after police said he made threatening comments on the Internet related to the deadly Connecticut school shooting that left 20 children and six adults dead.

Sergio Cabada, 18, of Suisun City was arrested without incident Monday just hours after police were notified that he glorified the school rampage on his Facebook page and said he had thought of committing similar acts, Fairfield police Sgt. Kevin Carella said.

Carella said police quickly obtained a search warrant and confiscated four rifles in Cabada's home before he was booked into Solano County Jail on suspicion of making felony terrorist threats.

"We take all threats seriously and we will investigate any crime that indicates violence in our community," Carella said. "We will not tolerate this type of behavior."

Carella declined to provide additional details, citing the ongoing investigation.

It was not immediately clear if Cabada had an attorney. Calls placed to his home on Tuesday were not immediately returned.

In Los Angeles, police previously booked Kyle Bangayan, 24, of Pomona for investigation of making criminal threats against elementary schools in a Facebook posting. However, the district attorney's office decided Monday against filing charges, saying Bangayan made no specific threat to a person or school.

Authorities said Bangayan told police he was joking when he wrote that if people didn't stop posting about the Connecticut shootings on Facebook, he would do the same thing. Bangayan said the joke got a few laughs.

Such comments in the wake of the shooting that has gripped the country are no laughing matter, said Craig Steckler, president of the International Association of Chiefs of Police.

"These kinds of threats happen with a lot of high-profile crimes. They don't actually do it, but you have to take them very seriously," said Steckler, police chief in Fremont.

In the aftermath of the shooting, Steckler sent out an e-mail to his organization's 23,000 members, calling the tragedy an "incomprehensible and horrific act" and urging them to review the group's guide on preventing and responding to school violence.

"As a public safety leader you will certainly be called on to address these concerns and to reassure your community that their schools are safe and that your department is well-positioned to protect the students," Steckler wrote.

 

Commenting is not available.

Commenting not available.

Please wait ...