View Mobile Site

Bay Area briefs

Text Size: Small Large Medium
POSTED February 21, 2013 9:31 p.m.

HOMELESS ENCAMPMENT MUSHROOMS IN SAN JOSE FIELD: SAN JOSE  (AP) — A huge homeless encampment has mushroomed in a grassy field near downtown San Jose.

There are now more than 100 homeless people living in tents in the field not far from the Guadalupe River Park.

Housing director Leslye Corsiglia told the City Council in a memo on Wednesday that the encampment is targeted for cleanup the first week of March.

Most of the city's estimated 60 encampments are along waterways where they are hidden from view.

But the new 70-tent homeless village has drawn complaints because it is highly visible and it has grown quickly.

$100M  MANSION HAS UNUSUAL SALE REQUIREMENT: HILLSBOROUGH  (AP) — As if the $100 million asking price wasn't deterrent enough, the owner of a mansion for sale in a ritzy San Francisco suburb says the buyer can move in only after his death.

The unusual arrangement is for a 16,000-square-foot Mediterranean-style home on more than 45 acres in Hillsborough.

The owner, 76-year-old Christian de Guigne IV, was born and raised in the home and doesn't plan to turn it over to the new owner until he dies.

Sotheby's International Realty agent Gregg Lynn says the arrangement was common for property traded up until the 20th century. He called the estate a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

Another home nearby recently sold for $117.5 million.

FIRED COACH SUES DIOCESE OF SACRAMENTO: VALLEJO. (AP) — A former Catholic high school coach is suing the Diocese of Sacramento claiming he was fired in retaliation for reporting sexual hazing by his players.

Officials at Vallejo's St. Patrick-St. Vincent High School said earlier this month that 50-year-old head football coach Chris Cerbone was fired because varsity players exposed their genitals to harass six younger teammates.

Cerbone filed a wrongful termination suit on Wednesday in Sacramento County Superior Court saying he was trying to protect students by reporting the incidents to school administrators.

But the lawsuit says principal Mary Ellen Ryan fired Cerbone, saying he was to blame for failing to supervise his players.

FORMER PINOLE RESIDENT FACING MURDER TRIAL: RICHMOND  (AP) — A former Contra Costa County resident has been ordered to stand trial on a murder charge in the cold case slaying of his 21-year-old girlfriend.

But a judge on Wednesday rejected a special circumstance allegation that accused 41-year-old Raymond Wong of killing Diablo Valley College student Alice Sin for financial gain. That allegation would have made Wong eligible for the death penalty.

Sin's body was found in Churchill County, Nev. in January 1999, two months after authorities believe she was shot to death.

Wong, formerly of Pinole, was charged with her death in 2011.

Prosecutors say Sin was the mother of Wong's toddler son, and Wong killed her in part because he was trying to collect on a $2 million life insurance policy. Wong has pleaded not guilty.

 

Commenting is not available.

Commenting not available.

Please wait ...