View Mobile Site

209 Business

Text Size: Small Large Medium
POSTED February 27, 2013 10:18 p.m.


6 SUSPECTS BOOKED A YEAR AFTER TRIPLE KILLINGS: MODESTO  (AP) — Six suspects have been booked for investigation of murder in the gunshot deaths of three people a year ago in a Modesto home.

Detectives on Tuesday surprised 43-year-old Robert Palomino and 27-year-old Juan Jose Nila as they were leaving a Stanislaus County courtroom for an unrelated weapons case.

They were handcuffed and booked for investigation of murder for the three killings in a southeast Modesto home last March.

Investigators say 16-year-old David Siebels, 19-year-old Alyxandra Tellez and 31-year-old Edward Joseph Reinig were shot to death.

After the courthouse arrests, four others already in jail on different charges were booked for investigation of murder. They are 31-year-old Armando Osegueda, 36-year-old Jose Osegueda Jr., 31-year-old Richard Garcia and 23-year-old Joseph Luis Jauriqui.

POLCIE SAY MAN MURDERED HIS GRANDMOTHER: STOCKTON  - Stockton police arrested a man Tuesday on suspicion of murdering his grandmother and dumping her body  in the backyard of her southeast Stockton home.

Jerome Sydney Deavila, 39, a registered sex offender, is accused of homicide.

Officers responded to the home on the 400 block of South Golden Gate Avenue around 12:44 p.m. after family members found the body of the 76-year-old woman, Stockton Police said.

Police said the woman, whom friends identified as Rachel, was reported missing by her son Steve on Friday night. Neighbors said the woman was found in a wheelbarrow and that her body was wrapped in a bedsheet and comforter. There were wheelbarrow tire treads all throughout the house.

 Deavilla had been living with his grandmother for several months, after she took him in. Neighbors said he had been homeless.

ENCOCHS HIGH ON LOCKDOWN: MODESTO - Enochs High School in Modesto was placed on lockdown for more than two hours Wednesday morning due to police activity near the school.

According to Modesto Police Department reports, Modesto officers and Stanislaus County sheriff's deputies were dispatched to the 4100 block of Roselle Avenue in response to a home invasion about 7: 20 a.m.

Enochs High was subsequently placed on lockdown, according to Becky Fortuna of the Modesto City School District.

According to Fortuna, students walking to school were escorted into a classroom under lockdown. 

A "reverse dialer" was also sent out, informing parents not to bring their children to school until the lockdown was officially lifted, said Fortuna.

Authorities were looking for one or two individuals in connection with the home invasion, said police.  

The lockdown was lifted around 9:45 a.m., according to police.

SWAT STANDOFF COMES UP EMPTY: STOCKTON  - A standoff between Stockton police officers, SWAT members, and a man suspected of shooting two people Wednesday morning ended unsuccessfully for authorities.

Officer Joe Silva with the Stockton Police Department said officers responded to a report of two people shot in the area of Bidwell Place and W. Bianchi Road around 9:30 a.m.

Upon arrival, officers blocked off the area from Bidwell to Pacific Avenue and began evacuating residents in the North Bank Court condominiums in search of the shooter.

Police and SWAT officers later surrounded a home on the 400 block of Bianchi Road where officers believed the suspect, identified as 25-year-old Dwight Smith, was possibly hiding.  

However, after a lengthy standoff, officers determined Smith was not inside the home.

Smith was described as black, 5 feet 6 inches tall and weighing 170 pounds. Police said he is possibly armed with a shotgun and should be considered dangerous.

The two gunshot victims were transported to hospital with non-life threatening injuries. They were communicating with police, said Silva

MAN SCARES OFF ROIBBER BY FIRING RIFLE: STOCKTON  - A man scared off a would-be robber by firing his rifle at the suspect Tuesday morning.

The 63-year-old man was taking out the garbage around 10:37 a.m. on the 100 block of East Clay Street, when he saw that his garage door was open, Stockton police said.

The man went back inside and watched as the suspect walked out of the garage carrying a latter. Police said the man got his phone and .22 caliber rifle and then confronted the suspect.

As the man called 911, he told the suspect to get on the ground about five times. Police said the suspect yelled back at the man, "I'm gonna kill you."

The man, fearing for his life, fired four shots about 10 feet in front of suspect. The suspect then ran from the scene.

The suspect is described as a black man in his 40s to early 50s, 5-foot-10, to 6 teet tall weighing 150 to 160 pounds, and had a black beard with some gray mixed in. He was last seen wearing a green puffy hooded jacket and faded blue jeans.

Anyone with information is urged to call Stockton police at (209) 937-8377.

 

Commenting is not available.

Commenting not available.

Please wait ...