View Mobile Site

State news briefs

Text Size: Small Large Medium
POSTED March 18, 2013 10:07 p.m.

LA COUNTY SHERIFF WANTS $900M JAIL: LOS ANGELES (AP) — Sheriff Lee Baca plans to ask Los Angeles County supervisors on Tuesday to consider replacing the violence-plagued Men's Central Jail with a facility that could cost more than $900 million.

The Daily News of Los Angeles reports (http://bit.ly/ZDM3WR) Baca will request that the county hire a contractor to prepare a design and an environmental impact review. Baca envisions a new jail that would house up to 3,500 inmates in two towers.

The aging Men's Central Jail has rows of jail cells that guards cannot monitor effectively. The jail also has been hampered by allegations of violence against inmates by deputies.

Most of the funding for a new jail could come from the county issuing long-term bonds. Baca believes the jail could be ready by fiscal year 2019-2020.

LA YOUTH TEAM BANNED FROM PRACTICE AT PARK: LOS ANGELES (AP) — A Los Angeles youth football team has been banned from practicing at a park after a fight among adult fans at a pizza parlor led to a fatal stabbing.

The Los Angeles Times reports Monday the East L.A. Bobcats will have to change their name and pay nearly $775 for added sheriff's patrols if they want to play at Salazar Park.

The team lost practice privileges after the fight involving adult fans escalated to the stabbing death of Patrick Ortega. The man charged in Ortega's death and the victim were affiliated with rival gangs, although neither man was directly involved in the youth football leagues.

County officials believe more violence may occur if the Bobcats continue playing. The team maintains the stabbing had nothing to do with the league.

PLANE MAKES EMERGENCY LANDING IN MONTEREY: MONTEREY  (AP) — A SkyWest plane that was forced to make an emergency landing at Monterey Regional Airport after a smoke alarm went off is back in service.

SkyWest spokeswoman Marissa Snow says an air conditioning unit was to blame for Sunday night's alarm during the flight from Bakersfield to San Francisco. The plane, which was carrying 27 passengers and 3 crew members, was forced to divert to Monterey, where it landed safely a little before 9 p.m.

No one on board was hurt, and the passengers were provided with ground transportation to San Francisco.

Snow says there was an odor in the cabin, but no evidence of smoke when the plane landed.

SUIT FILED BY PARENTS OF STUDENT IN HAZING DEATH: FRESNO (AP) — The parents of a California State University, Fresno freshman who died in 2012 of alcohol poising while pledging for a fraternity have filed a wrongful death suit against the fraternity and several of its members.

Paul and Diane Dhanens, parents of 18-year-old Philip Dhanens of Bakersfield, filed the suit against the Indiana-based Theta Chi Fraternity Inc., the local Beta Upsilon chapter, and six members of the fraternity. The suit was announced Friday by San Francisco-based law firm Kerr & Wagstaffe.

Three Fresno State students were charged last week with hazing and providing alcohol to Dhanens, who was only a couple weeks into his first semester when he died.

The coroner's office found that he had a blood-alcohol level of 0.36 — nearly five times the legal driving limit.

$4M WORTH OF POT FOUND ON BEACH: SANTA BARBARA  (AP) — Authorities have found about $4 million worth of marijuana and a panga boat at a beach in Santa Barbara County.

The boat was spotted early Sunday at Arroyo Quemado Beach. Partially hidden in bushes were 50 plastic-wrapped bales of pot with a combined weight estimated at 2,000 pounds.

The boat was apparently abandoned and had at least 20 fuel containers on board. Panga boats are often used for smuggling people or drugs into the United States from Mexico.

Earlier this month, marijuana worth at least $1 million was discovered near a boat abandoned on the Vandenberg Air Force Base coastline.

OC DECLARES 281,000 VOTERS INACTIVE: SANTA ANA  (AP) — Orange County has removed about 281,000 people from its active voter tolls — about one out of six registered voters in the county.

The Orange County Register says the voters were moved to the inactive list because they hadn't cast ballots since 2010.

The number of voters being declared inactive is larger than the number removed in every other county in the state combined.

The county registrar of voters began the massive effort several weeks ago. Authorities say those removed from the active list can still vote in future elections but they will no longer receive sample or mail ballots.

The county now has about 1.4 million active voters.

Voters can check their registration information at ocvote.com. Inactive voters can request restoration to the active list.

 

Commenting is not available.

Commenting not available.

Please wait ...