View Mobile Site

Bynes in court for suspected bong toss

Text Size: Small Large Medium
POSTED July 9, 2013 9:14 p.m.

 

 

NEW YORK (AP) -- Amanda Bynes wore a long aqua wig, false eyelashes and black sweatpants and a tank top for a brief court appearance Tuesday on allegations that she chucked a marijuana bong out the window of her 36th-floor Manhattan apartment. 

 

The 27-year-old actress did not speak during the hearing that lasted mere minutes, but she drew a throng of photographers and television cameras as she entered and left the criminal court building in lower Manhattan. Neither she nor her attorney spoke to reporters outside court. 

 

Bynes was arrested May 23 after building officials at her midtown apartment called police to complain that she was rolling a joint and smoking pot in the lobby. Officers went to her apartment, where they said they saw heavy smoke and a bong sitting on the kitchen counter. They said she tossed the bong out the window in front of them, according to prosecutors. A day later, in her first court appearance, she wore a disheveled blond wig. 

 

Bynes rose to fame starring in Nickelodeon's "All That" and has also starred in several films, including 2010's "Easy A." But she has been in the news more recently because of several scrapes with the law and bizarre public behavior.

 

In a Twitter post after her first court appearance, she accused the officers who arrested her of sexual assault; police are looking into her claims. She also has taken to social media to criticize a host of celebrities recently.

 

BENTLEY HOLDING BENEFIT CONCERT FOR FIREFIGHTERS: Dierks Bentley has one day off the rest of this month and he's giving it to the families of fallen firefighters in Arizona. The country music star will host the "Country Cares Concert" on July 22 in Prescott Valley, Ariz., where 19 members of a wildland firefighting crew were killed last week. Their deaths left behind 51 fatherless children, a number that sticks with the former Arizona resident as he waits for the birth of his third child later this year. "We want to make as much for those families as we can and hopefully start something that will continue on long after the music is over as far as remembering the firefighters and their families and these kids that live on as well," Bentley said. "We want to help get something rolling to look after them and help them move forward."

 

SLIPKNOT SINGER REPORTS THEFT: The lead singer of the heavy metal band Slipknot says musical equipment worth $36,000 has been stolen from his home and storage units in Iowa.  The Des Moines Register says Corey Taylor told police two guitars that had belonged to Slipknot bassist Paul Gray, who died in May 2010, were among the items stolen. Taylor told police that he suspected a friend stole the gear while he and his wife were touring Europe. They returned to their West Des Moines home late Saturday and reported the theft Sunday. Some of the equipment has been recovered from a guitar store.

 

OPERA SINGER HOSPITALIZED IN SPAIN: Opera singer Placido Domingo is in the hospital after suffering a blockage in an artery of the lungs. Domingo's representative says the 72-year-old is expected to make a full recovery but will have to miss several appearances scheduled for later this month. He was admitted to the hospital Monday in Madrid. Doctors say the pulmonary embolism was caused by a blood clot.

 

Commenting is not available.

Commenting not available.

Please wait ...