View Mobile Site

Big rig ends up crushing family sedan

1 dead, 5 injured in 120 Bypass crash

Text Size: Small Large Medium
Big rig ends up crushing family sedan

Firefighters work to free the passengers from a late model car that was caught in a six-vehicle, chain reaction crash on the 120 Bypass Monday afternoon.

GLENN KAHL/The Bulletin

POSTED August 13, 2013 1:00 a.m.

One person died and five were injured in a grinding series of rear-end collisions involving six vehicles on the Highway 120 Bypass, 100 yards east of Main Street, at about 3:15 Monday afternoon.

The accident was triggered in part by traffic slowing down for the transition from the 120 Bypass to southbound Highway 99.

The driver of a 2013 Chevy, a 53-year-old from Houston Texas, died at the scene. His name has not been released pending notification of next of kin.

The driver of a 2013 Buick out of San Antonio, Texas, 49-year-old Ernest Seiderman, sustained major injuries.

Others injured were Brian Garry, 52, of Sandy Utah; Kristin Parlato, 35, of Texas; Jacqueline Reilly, 45, of San Francisco; and Armando Pompa, no age, of Modesto.

Four ambulances along with several fire units and a rescue helicopter were dispatched to the scene; however the helicopter was called off after landing on the roadway of the freeway.

Witnesses reported seeing a Dakota pickup truck and another passenger vehicle first in the collision followed by the two semi truck and trailer rigs with two passenger cars smashing together with the second truck running over the top of the one car with three occupants inside.

The pickup truck had its bed torn off the rear of the vehicle and it was described to have shot out of the collision and into the divider on impact, a witness said who had pulled to the center to avoid being in the middle of the carnage.

Eastbound traffic was initially allowed to pass the pileup on the shoulder until the helicopter came into sight.  Caltrans crews then shut down the east bound lanes sending them off onto the off ramp and sending them southbound on South Main Street.

There were at least two motorists who were treated by medics for minor injuries who sitting in the center divider of the freeway.

Eastbound 120 was closed just as the afternoon commute started. It ended up diverting vehicles to Manteca surface streets which in turn ended up with traffic coming to a crawl at many places throughout the city.

Commenting is not available.

Commenting not available.

Please wait ...