View Mobile Site

News from around the Bay Area

Text Size: Small Large Medium
POSTED September 25, 2013 9:16 p.m.

LEGAL CLAIM FILED IN SF BAY AREA CHILD ABUSE CASE: CONCORD, Calif. (AP) — A new legal claim accuses officials at a San Francisco Bay Area school district of failing to report suspected child abuse by a teacher who is now charged with molesting numerous students.

The claim on behalf of seven alleged victims of Joseph Martin, an elementary school teacher in the Mt. Diablo School District in Contra Costa County, alleges a 2006 district report found Martin may have abused children. But the claim filed last week says district officials at the time did not report the findings to police.

Martin has been charged with over 100 felony counts involving 13 fifth-grade boys. He has pleaded not guilty.

The Contra Costa Times reports that the alleged victims in the claim say they were abused between 2009 and earlier this year.

MAN SENTENCED FOR ATTACK IN SF-AREA MOTEL ROOM: REDWOOD CITY  (AP) — A man has been sentenced to 12 years to life behind bars for beating and trying to rape a student in a San Francisco area motel room.

The San Jose Mercury News reports 47-year-old Maurice Banks must serve 85 percent of the 12-year sentence before he can be considered for parole.

He was convicted in August.

In June a judge concluded Banks was exaggerating symptoms of mental illness and ordered the trial to proceed. Prosecutors contended Banks was faking when he said he was hearing voices and seeing hallucinations.

Banks was accused of punching the woman so hard her eye sockets cracked, then strangling her until she passed out.

The woman had rented the Redwood motel room to have a quiet place to study.

 

Commenting is not available.

Commenting not available.

Please wait ...