View Mobile Site

Following docs’ orders, Indy champ Franchitti retires

Text Size: Small Large Medium
POSTED November 14, 2013 11:27 p.m.

Dario Franchitti kept racing after the death of best friend Greg Moore. He continued on following the death of former teammate Dan Wheldon. He was eager to drive into his early 40s.

He won’t get the chance.

The three-time Indianapolis 500 winner and four-time IndyCar Series champion reluctantly and abruptly retired Thursday, saying doctors told him it would be too dangerous for him to continue racing because of injuries sustained in a harrowing crash last month.

“Racing has been my life for over 30 years, and it’s really tough to think that the driving side is now over,” Franchitti said.

Franchitti fractured his spine, broke his right ankle and suffered a concussion in the Oct. 6 race at Houston, where his car made contact with Takuma Sato’s car on the last lap and sailed into a fence. Debris from the accident injured 13 fans in the grandstands and one IndyCar official.

The 40-year-old Franchitti underwent two surgeries on his ankle and recently returned home to Scotland to recover.

“One month removed from the crash, and based upon the expert advice of the doctors who have treated and assessed my head and spinal injuries post-accident, it is their best medical opinion that I must stop racing,” Franchitti said. “They have made it very clear that the risks involved in further racing are too great and could be detrimental to my long term well-being. Based on this medical advice, I have no choice but to stop.”

Franchitti did not use the word “retire” in a lengthy statement released through Target Chip Ganassi Racing, the team he joined in 2009 following a brief stint in NASCAR with Ganassi a year earlier.

Commenting is not available.

Commenting not available.

Please wait ...