View Mobile Site

BBQ fire destroys Manteca home

Blaze causes $230,000 in home losses

Text Size: Small Large Medium
BBQ fire destroys Manteca home

A charred living room and kitchen stands as a grim reminder to the intensity of the smoke and flames that gutted a family home.

GLENN KAHL/The Bulletin/


POSTED November 24, 2013 7:12 p.m.

Flames and billowing black smoke that could be seen for several miles resulted from a fire that caused $230,000 in damage to a Manteca home in the 400 block of Chestnut Avenue in north central area Manteca about 1 p.m. Sunday.

 Manteca firefighters indicated an unattended barbecue inside the house was the cause of the blaze that gutted the home.

Flames reportedly erupted in the rear of the house and spread throughout the structure and the attic as firefighters from multiple fire companies responded to the blaze that also threatened an adjacent home to the north.  The homeowner said the rest of his six member family had gone to church and he had left for the meat market. He was gone about 20 minutes.  He reportedly found the home fully involved when he returned.

A neighbor across the street said he saw the man’s leaf blowers left on the sidewalk and took them to his house for safe keeping.  When he went back across the street to pick up another blower he noticed flames and smoke coming from the back of the residence.  His wife immediately called 911, he said.

Neighbors commented on how fast the fire moved throughout the home.

Power lines were downed by the fire and laid across the back yard of the residence in a threat to firefighters.  The Lathrop-Manteca Fire Department had one engine on the scene with two firefighters.  The damage estimate included $170,000 to the home and $60,000 to the contents, according to Fire Department Battalion Chief Bob Davis.

Commenting is not available.

Commenting not available.

Please wait ...