View Mobile Site

Elderly man escapes fire in bedroom

Text Size: Small Large Medium
POSTED February 2, 2014 10:10 p.m.

An elderly man survived a bedroom fire shortly after midnight Saturday when a burning candle ignited bedding that singed his facial hair and caused a small burn on a finger.

Manteca Fire Battalion Chief Bob Davis said the man was treated at the scene by fire department personnel. He refused further medical treatment.

Six fire trucks and Manteca Ambulance responded to the scene in the 1100 block of Muir Court. Firefighters found family members standing on their front porch with smoke coming from a downstairs bedroom.

The crew from Engine 242 advanced into the bedroom with a 1 3/4 inch hose line and began fighting the fire. Other firefighters insured the fire did not spread to the upstairs bedrooms. One Lathrop-Manteca engine with two firefighters also responded to the scene and handled salvage operations.

Chief Davis estimated the loss to the property at $30,000 and $5,000 for the loss of contents of the home. 

Davis said the occupant of the bedroom had closed the door after leaving the bedroom and alerted family members of the fire and their need to exit the home on his way out.

“These actions, along with working smoke detectors, the rapid response of the Manteca Fire Department and their aggressive fire ground operations saved lives and (prevented more) property damage,” Davis said.

Commenting is not available.

Commenting not available.

Please wait ...