View Mobile Site

Nobody makes it to second day of Masters Tourney

Text Size: Small Large Medium
Nobody makes it to second day of Masters Tourney

Sierra senior Lucas Widmer (170) went 2-2 and was the last of eight area wrestlers eliminated from the Sac-Joaquin Section Masters Tournament at the Stockton Arena on Friday after falling short aga...


POSTED March 1, 2014 1:16 a.m.

STOCKTON – Lucas Widmer’s prep career came to a conclusion against an all-too familiar foe during the third round of the consolation bracket of the Sac-Joaquin Section Masters Tournament Friday night.

Sierra’s 170-pound senior, who made his third consecutive trip to the Masters Tournament at Stockton Arena, finished 2-2 and was the last of eight area wrestlers whose dreams of making it to the CIF State Championships didn’t come true.

Widmer couldn’t pull it off against Oakdale’s Frank Trent – who defeated the Timberwolves’ captain for the third time in as many weeks and for a fourth time this season by a score of 3-1.

“He wrestled hard all four matches,” Oakdale head coach Steve Strange said of Widmer. “It was a tough match (for Trent) because (Widmer) is a tough competitor. But I had faith.”

Last Saturday during the Sac-Joaquin Section Division IV 170-pound title match at Vista del Lago, Trent knocked off Widmer 5-1 despite Widmer drawing first blood.

Widmer struck first at the Masters, too, by scoring the first point by standing up to start the second round. He pulled ahead 1-0 and held the thin cushion through the match’s first four minutes despite it being his fourth match of the day.

“I felt good,” Widmer said. “I almost had him, but unfortunately I ran out of time.”

After Trent tied the match 1-1 to start the third period, he scored his next two points after the referee penalized Widmer for stalling – twice – to make up the final score. Widmer scored a takedown in the third that would have tied it 3-3, but it landed out of bounds.  Trent finished the match on top for the final 28 seconds and hung on.

“It was either win or go home,” Widmer said. “I’ll always remember him for the rest of my life. Unfortunately, I never beat him, but it was good sportsmanship and I don’t have anything against him.”

Lathrop’s 120-pound junior standout Alex Garcia went 1-2 and his season ended against Elias LoBuono of Davis of Yolo County, 8-2.

Garcia lost consciousness for a moment during the third period, but was allowed to finish the match. He only trailed 2-1 with 1-minute, 24-seconds left, but ended up losing 8-2 after completing the contest visibly dazed.

East Union’s 195-pound senior Nick McGill also went 1-2 and came up short of state after a loss against a physical D’Juan Ewing-Smalls of McClatchy, 5-4.

McGill trailed 3-1 heading into the third period and 5-1 before he cut his deficit to three with an escape. Ewing-Smalls gave up the next two points on stalling penalties before time ran short on McGill – who avoided elimination with a 3:26 fall over Grace Davis’ Josh Duarte during the first round of consolations.

Ripon’s 220-pound sophomore Tristan Smith went 1-2 and was cut off from state contention after Anthony Hernandez of Vintage-Napa outmuscled him, 12-6.

Smith did avoid going home once by pinning Johansen’s Robert Romero in 2:57 after leading 4-0.

Smith’s teammate, Edgar Gonzalez (128), went 1-2 as well. The reigning Trans Valley League champion, who finished second at the divisional tournament, was eliminated against the same opponent who beat him for the Sac-Joaquin Section Division V title Saturday at Delhi High – Summerville’s Andrew Brennan.

The match was knotted at 0-0 until the third when Brennan took a 2-0 lead with 55 seconds remaining. Gonzalez made an admirable effort during the match’s closing moments that was decided on somewhat of a controversial decision.

Gonzalez was awarded one point for not getting all the way around on the escape instead of two and came up short in a match that was decided on a referee’s judgment, 2-1.

Weston Ranch junior Andrew Olaya (132) and Ripon sophomore Javier Hernanez (138) both went 0-2, while Manteca heavyweight Steven Martinez went 1-2 before being pinned by Cyrus Javan of Vacaville Christian in 2:20 to have his junior campaign end.

Commenting is not available.

Commenting not available.

Please wait ...