Every church has a story. Manteca's churches are no exception. St. Anthony of Padua Catholic Church, for one, started as a small frame church that was built in 1916 on East Yosemite Avenue on a piece of land donated by the Bacigaloupi family. The first people to attend Masses at the church were Portuguese dairy farmers who came to this once dry and sandy area at the start of the irrigation district in 1909.
It's kind of the ultimate irony – the need for a municipality to do everything it can to meet a bureaucratic deadline dealing with a 200-year-flood when California is in the middle of what could very easily become its worst drought on record.
Correspondence between the National Marine Fisheries Service and Congressman Jeff Denham's office shows the Bureau of Reclamation wants to flush as much as 15,000 acre feet of water down the Stanislaus River in order to "save" six fish.
Five blue stars across the bottom of the World War II mural being dedicated Saturday reflects a rarity that Manteca had by having one family with five sons serving in the various branches of military during the war.
Three years ago Manteca city officials told John and Vivien Griffin their fence was no longer considered in violation after the Chadwick Square homeowners were able to prove it wasn't a safety problem as a complaint made at that time contended.