• FAMILY CASHES $1M LOTTERY TICKET ON CHRISTMAS EVE: LOS ANGELES (AP) - A family has cashed in on a $1 million gift this Christmas after a California dad bought a winning lottery scratcher ticket.
SAN DIEGO (AP) - Marines and sailors will be subject to random blood-alcohol tests twice a year in what is billed as the toughest anti-drinking policy in the U.S. military.
TRUCKEE (AP) - A member of a Sierra ski resort's patrol team who was injured after being caught in an avalanche has died - the second death connected to avalanches that occurred in the area on Monday.
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - Northern California received more rain and snow on Christmas Day, as the third storm system in a handful of days moved through the region.
LOS ANGELES (AP) - Cellphone providers are heading to church as they scramble to find places to put up towers.
SACRAMENTO (AP) - Gary Ramey and his adult daughter traveled 2,500 miles to hunt California bears with hounds last month, eager to take part in what he calls a time-honored tradition.
LOS ANGELES (AP) - Volunteers who patrol California beaches for plastic, cigarette butts and other litter will be on the lookout this winter for flotsam from last year's monstrous tsunami off Japan's coast.
• MOTORCYCLIST CHASE REACHES 130 MPH: STOCKTON - A motorcyclist was arrested on charges of felony evasion after leading CHP offices on a high speed chase Monday afternoon at speed in excess of 130 mph.
• SF WOMAN CHARGED IN FATAL HIT-AND-RUN CRASH: SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - A San Francisco woman is facing hit-and-run, drunken driving and vehicular manslaughter charges in a crash that killed one pedestrian and injured two others in the city's Twin Peaks area.
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - Northern Californians slogged through another day of wet and windy weather on Sunday as the second storm of the weekend moved through the region, causing headaches for people driving on freeways and delays for air travelers.
SACRAMENTO (AP) - Police say that the man killed in the home invasion robbery in Sacramento was one of the intruders, and the homeowner was among the three people wounded.
PALO ALTO (AP) - Engineer Dallas Goecker attends meetings, jokes with colleagues and roams the office building just like other employees at his company in Silicon Valley.
EUREKA (AP) - From water-siphoning to pesticide-spraying to just plain littering, a flowering of pot farms driven by the rise of medical marijuana is battering Northern California's wilderness areas, natural resources and endangered species.
SACRAMENTO (AP) - An analysis of a federal investigation of the UC Davis Medical Center - conducted after the deaths of three brain surgery patients at the facility - found that hospital policies and federal regulations were violated, The Sacramento Bee reported Sunday.
TRUCKEE (AP) - A string of powerful storms has dumped a mountain of snow in the Sierra Nevada and provided top-notch conditions for what traditionally is one of the busiest weeks of the skiing season.
LOS ANGELES (AP) - An elderly Los Angeles woman whose neighbors believed had died was instead found in a rundown shack in Maine, where according to authorities an unrelated family took her after gaining her confidence and selling her house.
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - Fleet Week weekend kicked off with San Francisco's waterfront packed by thousands of people who witnessed the commissioning of the Navy's newest ship and the acrobatics of the Navy's precision flight team.
• 5 KILLED IN 3 SEPARATE SHOOTINGS IN STOCKTON: STOCKTON (AP) - Police in Stockton are seeking outside help to gather evidence after five people were killed in a series of overnight shootings that happened within four hours.
SACRAMENTO . (AP) - Proposition 45 offers a simple choice for voters: Do they want the state insurance commissioner to regulate health care rates for small businesses and individual health plans?
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - Lieutenant governor of California is a low-visibility position with few official duties, and officeholders have historically struggled to define their role in the job.
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - A tax on sodas and other sugar-laden drinks that voters and courts in other parts of the country have rejected is on the November ballots in San Francisco and Berkeley, two cities that have been open to such social-engineering initiatives in the past.
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - The statewide election that could end up as one of the closest and most expensive in California this fall is for an office many voters probably have only the dimmest awareness of: state schools superintendent.
SACRAMENTO (AP) - Plastic bag manufacturers on Friday passed their first hurdle in their effort to delay and eventually repeal California's new ban on single-use plastic shopping bags before it takes effect.
MERCED (AP) - Police in Central California are searching for the mother of a newborn girl abandoned in a trash bin of an apartment complex in the city of Merced.
APPLEGATE (AP) - Fire crews strengthened containment lines and put out hot spots Friday around a wildfire burning near a Northern California interstate that destroyed six homes and was threatening hundreds more.
• TRIBAL DISPUTE CLOSES INDIAN CASINO: COARSEGOLD (AP) - An Indian casino remained closed Friday after a clash between competing factions of the Central California Native American tribe that owns it, sheriff's officials said.