View Mobile Site

County Fair-goers say they were fed pot-laced chocolate

Text Size: Small Large Medium
POSTED August 7, 2014 8:34 p.m.

DENVER (AP) — Three people say they were drugged after eating a chocolate bar that wasn’t supposed to have marijuana in it at the Denver County Fair’s new pot pavilion, and one of them has filed a lawsuit alleging the vendor was negligent.

Fair spokeswoman Dana Cain says at least two of the people went to the hospital and tested positive for THC, pot’s active ingredient. Colorado law bars the public consumption of pot, and no actual marijuana was supposed to be offered at the fair.

In the lawsuit filed Thursday in state court, Jordan Coombs says he ate a free sample of chocolate after a LivWell employee told him it did not contain THC. But soon after eating the candy, Coombs said he felt strange and started vomiting uncontrollably in his car.

 Doctors at a hospital emergency room told him he had overdosed on the drug, according to the suit, which says the candy bar should have been properly labeled as a marijuana-infused product.

Richard Jones, of Arvada, told KMGH-TV he became sweaty and nauseated after eating the chocolate and thought he was having a stroke or heart attack. He says hospital tests showed he had about 20 times the legal driving limit of THC in his system.

The vendor says it’s investigating. If marijuana really was in the bars, LivWell says it was put there without its knowledge.

Enter a Comment:

You must be logged in to post comments. encourages readers to interact with one another. We will not edit your comments, but we reserve the right to delete any inappropriate responses.

To report offensive or inappropriate comments, contact our editor.

The comments below are from readers of and do not necessarily represent the views of The Newspaper or Morris Multimedia.

No comments have been posted. Log in or Register to post a comment.

Please wait ...