IF YOU GO
• SIGNATURE SUSHI: The Flaming Koi. Contents: Spicy tuna, deep- fried shrimp and spicy white tuna served up with a spicy sauce and then flash-fried with a handheld torch to add an air of crispiness to the dish. A specialty offering that’s not on the traditional menu.
• DIRECTIONS/HOURS: Amici Sushi is open on Valentine’s Day from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. and then from 5-11 p.m. The restaurant is located at 269 E. Louise Ave. For a reservation, call (209) 858-4400.
LATHROP – Hearts are on fire at Amici Sushi.
Or maybe that’s just the “flaming koi” roll – a specialty offering topped off with explosive sauces and flash-fried with a handheld blowtorch by the chefs that have turned the relatively new Japanese restaurant into a community favorite.
And if you’re planning on savoring any of their offerings come Valentine’s Day, you better make the call now.
The romantic evening is by far one of the busiest nights of the year for the staff and is nearly booked solid with advanced reservations by customers that have made the restaurant a regular part of their dining-out stable.
Is it the fresh seafood listed on the menu with its source of origin that makes it popular? Is it the way in which it’s prepared with the care and custom? Maybe it’s the specialty offerings that bring something new and unique to the table and offering a different perspective?
Chefs Bill Bui and Sergio Antonio know that it’s all of these things.
“A lot of people come in that night – it’s definitely one of our busiest,” Bui said. “A lot of people make reservations, and right now we’re almost booked up. If people want to make sure they get a table they should definitely call.”
And the ingredients that make up one of the most popular dining choices in the area don’t hurt either:
• The Lathrop Roll – The namesake of the town which has been very, very good to Amici Sushi is packed with spicy tuna, avocado and snow crab salad and then lightly fried. It’s served up with sweet chili, garlic miso, shiso oil Louise sauce and microgreens. $12.
• Tsunami Tuna Roll – Looking for some flavorful fish? This combination of shrimp tempura, spicy tuna, snow crab salad and cucumber along with albacore tuna, avocado, chives and micro cilantro. The rolls are accented with shredded nori and creamy mustard sauce, teriyaki sauce, sweet chili and creamy mayo. $14.
• Crunch & Munch Roll – Not every piece of sushi has to be soft and delicate. Anchored by shrimp tempura and snow crab salad, this roll is wrapped in soy and topped with Hokkaido scalloped and garnished with tobiko and served with a creamy mayo sauce. $12.
Amici Sushi is open on Valentine’s Day from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. and then from 5 to 11 p.m. The restaurant is located at 269 E. Louise Ave. at the intersection of Louise Ave. and Harlan Road. To make a reservation, call (209) 858-4400.