By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Boating accident hasnt kept Turlocks Murphy from chasing collegiate baseball dream
Pitcher Tyler Murphy has defied all odds after he was involved in a boating accident that left him with severe nerve, muscle, and tendon damage to his right hand and right leg last August. After nine surgeries and plenty of physical therapy, the player was able to return to the field as part of CSU Stanislaus Warriors baseball team. - photo by 209 file photo

It is nothing short of a miracle that 19-year-old Tyler Murphy

 is currently playing for 

California State University, Stanislaus Warriors baseball team. 

“I’m beyond grateful and just blessed to have another opportunity to play collegiate baseball after everything that has happened,” said Murphy. 

Last August, Murphy was severely injured at Lake Tulloch when he was involved in a tragic boating accident just weeks before leaving for college. Having been run over by the boat he and his friends were on, the pitcher was dealt debilitating nerve, muscle, and tendon damage to his right hand and right leg.

As a result, Murphy was left unable to stand and ultimately unable to pitch, leaving his collegiate baseball dreams at a standstill. 

Before the tragic turn of events last August, Murphy had graduated from Turlock High School. There, he played a vital role in leading the baseball team to the Central California Conference Championship as a junior and was named first team All-CCC as a senior. The pitcher had also played with the Stanislaus Cardinals Babe Ruth 18-year-old team.

It was this success that got the distinguished pitcher noticed by Saint Mary’s College and it was not long before he received a scholarship to play baseball there. However, things did not go according to plan when he arrived at SMC in the spring of 2014, prompting Murphy to transfer to CSU Stanislaus in the fall of 2014.

Since his accident, Murphy has undergone close to ten surgeries and, depending on whether or not a nerve graft from last November proves to be successful, the pitcher might have to go under the knife again. 

Despite this, Murphy’s life has been all about baseball and he refuses to let that aspect change. The pitcher is hoping for full recovery as he continues with physical therapy. The pitcher’s determination was made crystal clear when, less than two months after the accident, Murphy astonished everyone by standing on his own two feet. 

“I want to continue playing baseball,” said Murphy. “Every baseball player’s dream is to make it to the major league, but I just want to continue playing.” 

Now over a year later, the pitcher is still in the process of recovering. However, with the support he has received, Murphy has defied the odds and remained optimistic. 

“I’ve had tons of support from family, friends, and just the community of Turlock,” said Murphy. “I don’t want to recover just for myself but for everyone that has supported me through everything.”