Turkeys R Us has two weeks to come up with 609 turkeys or struggling families in Manteca, Ripon or Lathrop will go without a Thanksgiving meal.
Additional donations of cash and turkeys Thursday brought the number of turkeys to 341. The overall goal is to provide both a Thanksgiving and Christmas meal for 950 families. That means 1,559 turkeys are still needed to cover the goal of 1,900 turkeys. The turkeys cost $12 apiece to purchase.
The most pressing demand is for Thanksgiving. Although it is 20 days away, the turkeys must be purchased and delivered to 12 food closets serving the three communities by the weekend prior.
Events and dates where turkeys can be dropped off at are:
• Wednesday, Nov. 12: Second Harvest hosting the Manteca Chamber of Commerce. Donations can be made during the event 8 to 9 a.m.
• Friday, Nov. 14: Bank of the West Manteca, Commerce Avenue, 3 to 6 p.m.
• Friday thru Sunday, Nov. 14-16: Stuff the Bus with Regional Transit District at the Food 4 Less in Manteca (Friday 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., Saturday and Sunday 10a.m. to 4 p.m.)
• Saturday, Nov. 15: Stuff the Fire Truck at Safeway in Manteca 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
• Sunday, Nov. 16: Northgate Little League at the snack shack on Hoyt Avenue 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Frozen turkeys can be taken to Second Harvest at 704 E. Industrial Park Drive in Manteca Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monetary donations can be made online at www.localfoodbank.org or dropped off or mailed to Second Harvest, Coldwell Banker 319 N. Main St. Manteca, or Beacon Realty 211 E. Center St. Manteca .
Sue Teunissen and Leann McNabb are chairing the drive. If you have questions contact the food bank at 239.2091 or contact McNabb at 815.6754.