By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
82-years-to-life sentence
Man who shot teen found guilty of first-degree murder
MurderASK 0083a
An investigator, on the foreground, gathers evidences at the scene of the crime on East Yosemite Avenue where 19-year-old Derrick Gann was shot to death in July 2010. - photo by GLENN KAHL

STOCKTON – Jose Antonio Vega of Ripon was sentenced 82 years to life for the July 2010 shooting death of Derrick Gann.

The 19-year-old was one of two Manteca men gunned down in an early morning attack that took place on Yosemite Avenue near Powers Avenue. One victim fled to the nearby convenience store. Gann, who was shot multiple times, was downed in the middle of the roadway.

Vega, who had past felony convictions, was found guilty of first degree murder two months ago in San Joaquin County Superior Court, according to Manteca police Sgt. Wayne Miller, who was the chief investigator in the case.

“He deserved worse,” said Gann’s mother, Tanci Gitter. “But I’m glad he got that long of a (prison) sentence – the judge said he’ll probably die there.”

The sentencing of Vega, 31, took place last Monday, Nov. 19.

Since his murder, family and friends of Derrick Joseph Gann have conducted a candlelight vigil every year in late July in the parking lot of Farmer’s Insurance Agency next to the 7-Eleven Store.

“Derrick Gann isn’t gone,” said Rev. Wade Williams of Victory Christian Church in Tracy at last summer’s candlelight vigil. “We’re standing here as proof that he’s still in each and every one of us.

“Through him, we can make a difference in our community, and then we can share the life of this young man.”

Vega’s first trial a year ago ended in a hung jury.

Last August, he had been charged with eight felonies, including three counts of street terrorism, premeditated attempted murder, premeditated murder, being a felon in possession of a firearm, and possession of a firearm by a gang member.

Jeffrey Charles Atteberry, who was 18 at the time, survived the attack. He collapsed from gunshot wounds after fleeing to the entrance of the nearby convenience store.

Reporter Glenn Kahl contributed to the story.