STOCKTON – Bishop Stephen Blaire of the Catholic Diocese of Stockton has announced the individuals who will be honored for their long and distinguished service in the diocese.
The announcement was made to inaugurate the 50th anniversary of the Diocese of Stockton which was founded on Jan. 13, 1962 from the original Archdiocese of San Francisco.
Below are the names of those who will be recognized:
• Marie and Bob Gallo – benefactors of the diocese, St. Stanislaus Parish in Modesto and Central Catholic High School in Modesto.
• Sr. Gloria DeJesus, EFMS – diocesan director of religious education and diocesan ministries for 25 years.
• Digna and Jose Lopez – directors of Hispanic ministry, Hispanic youth ministry, and migrant ministry.
• Deacon Jack and Mrs. Jennie Ryan – first diocesan director of deacons and wives
• Monsignor Richard Ryan – vicar general of the diocese.
• Paul Schaefer – chairman of the Diocesan Finance Council and board member of Central Catholic High School.
• Tom Shepherd – diocesan attorney since 1985.
The above awardees will be publicly honored at the Bishop’s Awards Dinner on Oct. 20.
The first bishop to serve the Diocese of Stockton was Bishop Hugh Donohoe. Bishop Blaire came to the diocese as the fifth bishop in 1999. The 50th anniversary will be celebrated throughout the year at parishes and diocesan events with the theme, Ever Young in Christ.