By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
2nd suspect arrested in home invasion
Placeholder Image
A second suspect was arrested Tuesday afternoon in connection with the 5 a.m. Saturday home  invasion robbery that occurred in a northeast Manteca neighborhood near Joshua Cowell School.

Manteca Police detectives Rob Armasino and Steve Harris followed leads to Castro Valley taking a 30-year-old Asian man into custody at 1:30 p.m. and charging him with assault with a deadly weapon, home invasion, burglary, false imprisonment and other potential charges pending a further review of the case.

Construction worker Eric John Sevilla was transported back to Manteca by the officers and booked on the felony charges at the Manteca Police Department.  He is believed to be one of two men who entered the home through its garage allegedly terrorizing the four sleeping residents.

Detective Harris noted that Sevilla is not a known Norteno gang member except for his association with David Steven Pacheco, 27, of Hayward who was arrested by officers shortly after the early morning assault and robbery when officers found him running from a home in the 800 block of Sweet Pea Place following a home invasion in that area.  Pacheco is alleged to have fired a single shot at the home owner who was chasing him on foot.

Two Manteca officers cornered Pacheco from opposite directions as he ran.  They said he pulled a hand gun from his waistband dropping it onto the ground as they approached.  They noted that video was captured of the fleeing suspect by the COBAN units filming from the police cars.

Officers said they recovered a hand gun in Sevilla’s Castro Valley residence along with property they located that they said they believed had been taken from the Sweet Pea Place home.

While Pacheco was said to have had several thousand dollars in cash stuffed in his pockets at the time of his arrest, the homeowner told The Bulletin on Tuesday that he didn’t have that kind of cash in his home.

Bail was set at $108,000; however, police said they believed he was being bailed out by family members Tuesday evening.

Police indicated the investigation is still continuing.