By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
3 arrests in beating on New Years Eve
Placeholder Image
Richard Daniel Breakfield, 21, the last of three suspects charged with attempted murder in a New Year’s Eve beating, is in the county jail, police reported Wednesday night.  All three were sought on million dollar warrants.

Manteca Police officers said Breakfield’s attorney notified them that his client wanted to turn himself in on the charges, and surrendered himself to Manteca authorities just before 6 p.m. Wednesday.  His bail and that of the others was originally set at $1 million, however at the arraignment of the first two, it was reduced to $275,000. Breakfield was transported to the San Joaquin County Jail Wednesday night.

Brandon Sewell, 19, was the first to be arrested in the case last Thursday. And with the help of Manteca Crime Stoppers Erasmo M. Bugarin, 21, was located at a residence in the 200 block of Dogwood Avenue in Manteca last Thursday. Officers made a tactical entry into the home and found Bugarin sitting on a couch.  He was arrested at gun point without incident, police said.

Bugarin and the others were charged similarly with street terrorism, use of a firearm in commission of a felony, personal use of a firearm, infliction of great bodily injury, assault with a deadly weapon with great bodily injury, attempted willful murder and attempted murder.  

Police believed the men had fled the area after the December 31 assault where they used a shotgun in the attack that left Miguel Valles, 22, in critical condition lying in his own blood in  front of a convenience store on North Union Road near the Union Pacific Railroad tracks.  Officers allege the victim was struck repeatedly in the head with the shotgun.

Valles was first transported to Doctors Hospital in Manteca and then rushed code 3 to the trauma center at Doctors Medical Center in Modesto where he underwent emergency surgery for his head injuries.

Detectives, under the lead of Steve Beermann, have been putting in overtime hours since the attack in an attempt to take the three off the street.  Beermann said he is glad to see the arrests came to a peaceful conclusion, and that they did not require a police pursuit in the captures that could have endangered members of the public.

The three men have been assigned court dates on Feb. 2, at 8:30 a.m. in the Stockton Courthouse, Department 35.  All three are currently in the San Joaquin County Jail.