Manteca Police Department and investigators from the Delta Regional Auto Theft Team are hoping to raise awareness and prevent auto theft by launching a county wide campaign.
Officers have started a campaign focusing on reducing auto theft through awareness and prevention. In addition to the ongoing suppression efforts, such as arresting thieves, recovering stolen vehicles, and prosecuting auto theft offenders, local police agencies will focus on prevention efforts by giving away free anti-theft steering wheel locking devices to owners of the top nine most stolen cars in San Joaquin County. The Auto Theft Task Force was able to purchase a limited number of the anti-theft devices with funding assistance from the National Insurance Crime Bureau.
Investigators have identified the top nine most stolen vehicles in San Joaquin County as:
• 1. 1989 to 1997 Honda Accord
• 2. 1988 to 2000 Honda Civic
• 3. 1987 to 1996 Toyota Camry
• 4. 1990 to 1998 Acura Integra
• 5. 1993 to 1998 Saturn SL
• 6. 1992 to 1994 Nissan Sentra
• 7. 1989 to 2001 Chevy Pickup
• 8. 1987 to 1995 Toyota Pickup
• 9. 1987 to 1995 Nissan Pickup
The only three requirements are:
• 1. Own a vehicle on the top nine most stolen vehicle list
• 2. Vehicle must be currently registered
• 3. Be a resident of San Joaquin County
Auto theft in San Joaquin County has been a continuing challenge for local law enforcement officers. For the past several years San Joaquin County has ranked nationally in the top seven areas as having the highest auto theft rates per capita.
A common sense approach to protection is the simplest and most cost-effective way to thwart would-be thieves. Auto theft investigators recommend you should secure your vehicle even if parking for a brief period. You should always:
• Remove your keys from the ignition
• Lock your doors / close your windows
• Park in a well-lit area
The Delta Regional Auto Theft Team, which is commonly referred to as Delta RATT, is a multi-agency team of investigators comprised of various law enforcement agencies within San Joaquin County.
To pick up a free lock, simply stop by any of the participating law enforcement agencies:
• Ripon Police Department, 259 N. Wilma Avenue, Ripon, (209) 599.2102
• Manteca Police Department, 1001 Center Street, Manteca, (209) 456.8100
• California Highway Patrol, 3330 N. Ad Art Road, Stockton, (209) 943.8600
• San Joaquin County Sheriff’s Dept., 7000 Michael Canlis Blvd., French Camp, (209) 468-4400
• Lathrop Police Department, 15597 Seventh Street, Lathrop, (209) 858.5551