By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Officer involved shooting death taking months to investigate
Placeholder Image

The San Joaquin County District Attorney’s investigation team and Manteca Police Chief Dave Bricker have both indicated it will be months before a final report will be completed into the officer involved shooting that claimed the life on a Manteca man who was allegedly rushing an officer with a weapon.

The district attorney’s chief investigator Lt. Robert Buchwalter said that his agency remains neutral during the investigation until the package of evidence is presented to them.  The lead investigators are the Manteca Police Department, he said.  

Chief Bricker confirmed that saying, “It is a combination of DA and MPD with supervisors assigned from both agencies.  It is technically a DA’s case with MPD as the lead agency.”

Buchwalter said his team is charged with four officer involved shooting investigations that occurred in Stockton and other San Joaquin County communities.  Manteca’s is number four on their list, he said, as they are understaffed due to budget cutbacks.

Bricker added that he doesn’t believe the investigation will be completed much before the end of the year when it will be reviewed by the district attorney’s office.

Killed in the exchange was Ernest Manuel Duenas, 34, who the officer reportedly recognized as a parolee-at-large before pulling over the pickup truck in which the wanted man was riding as a passenger. Police had said the officer involved fired after Duenas allegedly charged him while holding a weapon.

It is believed that the police car’s dash mounted video camera may have been activated when the incident took place in the 200 block of Flores Avenue and recorded the activity.

The Department of Justice was also called to the scene to aid in the investigation the night of June 8 within hours after the shooting occurred.

The 10-year veteran officer’s name has not been released. He has since returned to work.