Investigators from the Delta Regional Auto Theft Team are launching a county wide campaign aimed at reducing auto theft by distributing free anti-theft steering wheel locking devices to owners of the top nine most stolen cars in San Joaquin County.
Investigators have identified the top nine most stolen vehicles in San Joaquin County as:
• 1. 1989 to 1997 Honda Accord
• 2. 1988 to 2000 Honda Civic
• 3. 1987 to 1996 Toyota Camry
• 4. 1990 to 1998 Acura Integra
• 5. 1993 to 1998 Saturn SL
• 6. 1992 to 1994 Nissan Sentra
• 7. 1989 to 2001 Chevy Pickup
• 8. 1987 to 1995 Toyota Pickup
• 9. 1987 to 1995 Nissan Pickup
The only three requirements are: owning a vehicle on the top nine most stolen vehicle list, vehicle must be currently registered, and you must be a resident of San Joaquin County .
For the past several years San Joaquin County has ranked nationally in the top 10 areas as having the highest auto theft rates per capita.
A common sense approach to protection is the simplest and most cost-effective way to thwart would-be thieves. Auto theft investigators recommend you should secure your vehicle even if parking for a brief period. You should always:
• Remove your keys from the ignition
• Lock your doors / close your windows
• Park in a well-lit area
• Never leave keys to vehicles you own inside any of your vehicles
The Delta Regional Auto Theft Team, which is commonly referred to as Delta RATT, is a multi-agency team of investigators comprised of various law enforcement agencies within San Joaquin County.
To pick up a free lock, simply stop by any of the participating law enforcement agencies on or after April 13, 2015. Supplies of the steering wheel locks are limited, and will be given out on a first come first serve basis.
• Manteca Police Department , 1001 Center Street, Manteca, 209.456.8100
• Ripon Police Department , 259 N. Wilma Ave., Ripon, 209.599.2102
• Lathrop Police Department, 15597 Seventh St., Lathrop, 209.858.5551