By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Federal grant means station will open in mid-2020 with full coverage capability
fire top web.jpg
Manteca Fire Chief Kyle Shipherd poses in front of the headquarters station on Union Road with the department’s newest engine design to fight grass fires and get into places where the terrain poses an issue - photo by Bulletin file photo

A $542,203 federal grant means when Manteca’s fifth fire station opens sometime in mid-2020 at Atherton Drive and Woodward Avenue that it will be fully staffed 24/7.

Without the Staffing for Adequate Fire and Emergency Response (SAFER) grant, the city was facing the possibility of the station opening with only seven of nine firefighters needed to man a fire engine 24/7. That would have resulted in medical response coverage only on some shifts using the two-man rescue unit.

It is significant development given it will mark the first time since the 1960s the City of Manteca will open an expansion fire station that will be fully staffed from the first day. 

The Louise Avenue station sat vacant for a year after it was completed in the mid-1980s due to fiscal issues that left the city with just over a $1,200 general fund reserve and unable to hire additional firefighters.

When the Union Road station opened in 2002 it was a replacement for the Center Street station allowing firefighting staffing to be shifted.

The Lathrop Road station by Del Webb at Woodbridge opened earlier this decade short staffed. The station operated for close to two years with some shifts having two firefighters. That meant only a rescue unit could respond from the station for some shifts instead of a three-man fire engine.

To illustrate how far the city has come since the mid-1980s when they had a general fund reserve and were unable to keep up with growth that resulted in a fire station being completed that couldn’t be staffed due to a $1,200 general fund reserve, Manteca is set to open its fifth station fully staffed and equipped with the equivalent of 25 percent ($13.3 million) of the $45.4 million general fund in reserve.

The city last week placed an order for a new $600,000 plus fire engine for the station. The engine is being paid for the public safety endowment fund that was set up by special fees collapsed into the price of more than 1,900 homes built in Del Webb at Woodbridge and Union Ranch in north Manteca.

Due to the length of time to build and equip a new fire engine, Manteca isn’t anticipating taking delivery until several months or so after the station opens. Until then, one of the department’s backup fire engines will be assigned to the station.

The foundation was being poured this week for $4.5 million fire station being built by CT Brayton & Sons. It is being paid for with fire fees collected on new homes and other development.

When it opens, roughly 3,000 homes in southeast Manteca will no longer be outside the optimum 5 minute response time for the best results in a medical emergency or fire.

“By hiring additional firefighters, service levels, emergency response times, and department capabilities will be strengthened to adequately serve the nearly 85,000 residents here in Manteca,” Manteca Fire Chief Kyle Shipherd said. “We’re so grateful for this SAFER grant because it will help Manteca Fire increase safety for all our citizens.”

The grant from the Federal Emergency Management Agency and Homeland Security will pay 75 percent of the cost of two firefighters for two years with the city required to cover the remaining 25 percent. In the third and final year the grant covers 35 percent of the cost and the city 65 percent.

By then Shipherd said growth in property tax and sales tax revenue is expected to allow the city to cover 100 percent of the cost of the two positions.

To contact Dennis Wyatt, email