Cheryl Ramey always put forth that extra effort.
That’s how she was described by her peers at Monday’s Ripon Unified school board session.
Ramey, who is a special education teacher at Ripon Elementary School with 39 years of service to the district, was one of a dozen retiring employees receiving recognition at the May meeting.
Ripon High Social Science teacher Paul Calkins is also retiring.
He has 31 years of service and, along with his dedication to education, coached tennis, track & field, cross country for the Indians, and was involved in mock trial. Calkin is a noted ski instructor at Dodge Ridge.
Trustees, in addition, honored the following retiring employees:
- Rosemary Falasco – She has 26 years of service and is an instructional aide at Colony Oak Elementary School.
- Gary Camara – He’s in Maintenance, having put in 25 years of service with RUSD.
- Lauren Duncan – She’s a classroom aide at Ripon Elementary with 25 years of service.
- Debra Wood – She worked in both primary and middle school while at Ripona, and has been with the district for 24 years.
- Marie Gajeton – She has 24 years of service, having recently worked at Weston Elementary School as an instructional assistant.
- Darlene Winchell – She enjoys art and photography, and even spearheaded the Photography Club at Colony Oak. Winchell has 22 years of service with RUSD.
- Sherri Huff – She taught at both Ripon Elementary and Colony Oak during her 21 years with the district.
- Wes Van Vuren – He’s known as “The Science Guy” with 20 years of service. Van Vuren worked at Colony Oak and Harvest High.
- Gail Dunkel – She works in food service and has 16 years of service with RUSD.
- Kevin Kirschman – He’s been in education for 33 years, including nine of those at RUSD. Kirschman teaches Science at Ripon High.