By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Manteca used lowest amount of groundwater in 16 years during May

A much wetter than normal May coupled with conservation is credited with Manteca using the least amount of groundwater last month since 2003.

Water from the South San Joaquin Irrigation District surface water treatment plant provided 70 percent of the 380 million gallons used citywide in May. The other 30 percent came from groundwater.

“That is a largely a result of wet weather and continued conservation by the residents,” Public Works Director Mark Houghton noted. “Now as the weather warms up we would encourage residents to continue to monitor their irrigation and conserve where possible.”

Manteca’s water rules

The stricter water rules that were adopted for Manteca residents and businesses four years ago and are still in effect are as follows:

No irrigation is allowed during or within 48 hours following measurable rainfall as defined by storms that generate run-off or puddles.

No watering is allowed on Monday or any day between noon and 6 p.m. Watering for even addresses is on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday while odd addresses can water on Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday.

No water will be allowed on any day at any time for washing off sidewalks, driveways, patios, parking lots or other exterior non-landscaped areas without a permit obtained from the Manteca Public Works Department office at the Civic Center.

No water will be allowed to flow into a gutter or other drainage area for longer than 5 minutes. All water leaks or malfunctions in plumbing or irrigation systems must be fixed with 24 hours.

Penalties include a written notice on the first violation, a $100 fine with applicable fees on the second violation that may be waived by attending a water conservation workshop, a $200 fine and applicable fees on the third violation; and $500 fines for each and every subsequent violation plus applicable fees.

To contact Dennis Wyatt, email