HARDWICK, Mass. (AP) — Newly released court documents say a 7-year-old Massachusetts boy hospitalized after allegedly being abused and isolated by his father had an alarm on his bedroom door and was monitored by a camera his father could access from a cellphone.
The boy’s father, Randall Lints, 26, of Hardwick pleaded not guilty to assault and endangerment charges last week. A Wednesday hearing to determine if it is safe to release him has been postponed until Aug. 19 at his attorney’s request.
The state Department of Children and Families had been working with the family, and took custody of the boy July 14 after he was found unconscious. Authorities say the child had been beaten, starved and dehydrated. He was in a coma but is expected to recover.
The Telegram & Gazette reports that a search warrant affidavit says the boy was required to stay in his room much of the time with few toys.
and was not allowed in the living room with other young children in the household, which included two half-siblings and another child of his father’s girlfriend.
He allegedly was forced to squat against a wall as punishment and was not allowed to go to school or do homework. He was fed a limited diet and few fluids to control toilet accidents.
A search of Lint’s apartment found a cellphone, computer, several notebooks and some medical supplies, police said.