By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
National news briefs
Placeholder Image

TENN. NIGHTCLUB SHOOTING LEAVES 1 DEAD, 19 INJURED: JACKSON, Tenn. (AP) — Police in West Tennessee say one man was killed and 19 other people were injured early Sunday when gunmen opened fire in a nightclub.

Jackson Police Lt. Tyreece Miller said officers were called to the Karma Lounge in downtown Jackson at about 2 a.m. Sunday. They arrived to find one man dead, 17 people with gunshot wounds and two who were trampled.

Miller said a dispute between several people led to the shooting at the business, which had advertised a Lane College/Lemoyne-Owen College after-game party on Saturday night. Evidence so far indicates at least three people used handguns to fire into the crowd.

Police are asking anyone who took photos or video inside the club to share it.

Authorities released photos of two men taken by the club's video cameras. Miller said investigators want to question them because of their proximity to the events.

POLICE: DOG CAUSED CRASH THAT SHUT DOWN NM FREEWAY: ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) — A dog running into traffic on a busy New Mexico freeway caused a chain reaction that led to a fiery crash involving a semi full of frozen meat that shut down part of the road and backed up traffic for nearly four hours, authorities said.

The crash happened Sunday on Interstate 40 in Albuquerque, KOB-TV reported.

Police said a man driving on the freeway saw a dog darting into traffic and pulled over. The man got out of his car to help the animal, and a female driver saw him on the road and slammed on her brakes.

A semi tractor-trailer hauling 36,000 pounds of frozen meat then slammed into the woman's vehicle and started on fire.

Police said the semi burst into flames almost instantly — sending up a plume of black smoke visible across the city — but the driver was able to escape uninjured. The woman and other man were also OK, but the dog died.

QUADRUPLETS BORN IN UTAH UNDER TIGHT SECURITY: MURRAY, Utah (AP) — A Utah woman has given birth to quadruplets under tight security after a woman was accused of repeatedly trying to gain access to the family.

The Deseret News and Salt Lake Tribune report 30-year-old Natalie Consolo, who lives in the Ogden area, is doing well after giving birth to three girls and one boy Saturday at Intermountain Medical Center.

Her husband, Anthony, says hospital security around the family was exceptionally tight because of what he describes as an "over-zealous" woman in her 60s who repeatedly tried to contact the family as recently as Friday.

He says the woman used four different names when trying to gain access to the hospital and was told by hospital staff Friday not to return.

In the past five years, four sets of quads have been born in Utah.

ARMY IDS REMAINS OF LAST MISSING SOLDIER IN IRAQ: BAGHDAD (AP) — The U.S military announced Sunday that it has recovered the remains of the last American service member who was unaccounted for in Iraq, an Army interpreter seized by gunmen after sneaking off base to visit his Iraqi wife in Baghdad during the height of the insurgency.

The remains of Staff Sgt. Ahmed al-Taie, who was 41 when militiamen seized him on Oct. 23, 2006, were positively identified at the military's mortuary in Dover, Del., the Army said in a statement released Sunday. Army officials said they had no further details about the circumstances surrounding his death or the discovery of his remains.

Al-Taie's brother, Hathal Al-Taie, told The Associated Press the military officer who visited the family's home to inform them about the remains said they are still in Dover, but that he didn't know the circumstances surrounding his brother's death.

MARINE DIES AFTER TRAINING IN CALIFORNIA DESERT: TWENTYNINE PALMS (AP) — Officials say a Marine has collapsed and died after a day of training in the California desert in preparation for deployment to Afghanistan.

The Marine Corps announced Sunday that the Marine, part of the 2nd Marine Logistics Group based at Camp Lejeune, N.C., collapsed during personal time Saturday night at the Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center in Twentynine Palms.

He was flown to Desert Regional Medical Center in Palm Springs, where he was pronounced dead.

The death is under investigation and the Marine's name is being withheld while relatives are notified.

The unit was undergoing the Enhanced Mojave Viper pre-deployment training program in preparation for going to Afghanistan.

The death comes three days after seven Marines were killed about 200 miles away when two helicopters collided during training.