*WHAT: 39th annual Sonora Christmas Festival
*WHERE: Mother Lode Fairgrounds in Sonora
*WHEN: Friday, Nov. 29 through Sunday, Dec. 1, starting at 10 a.m. each day
*COST: $7 Adults, $5 Seniors & Students, $2 for Kids 6 to 12, Under 6 free w/adult admission. Parking lot fee is $5.
*MORE INFO: Go to www.fireonthemountain.com
Sonora Christmas Festival runs
from Nov. 29 through Dec. 1
SONORA — The 39th Anniversary Sonora Christmas Festival takes place Thanksgiving weekend, Nov. 29 to Dec. 1 at Sonora’s Mother Lode Fairgrounds.
At 10 a.m. each day visitors will be greeted by Santa, the elves, trees, and carolers at the front gates of our Christmas Village. Then follow these merrymakers through the artisan’s lanes and yummy festival food vendors, accompanied by tunes of the talented musicians on the festival stages. Also, to be delighted by the antics of our comic jugglers, vaudeville style skits, train rides, ornament making, kids play area.
Sonora Christmas Festival continues to be one of California’s finest arts festivals.
The 26th Winter Wonderland Christmas Parade, in historic downtown Sonora, will be ready to roll at 5:30 p.m. Friday, Nov. 20. (Parade details: 209-532-7725).
There are 150 craft and graphic artists featured at the annual festival making it a Christmas shopping tradition for thousands of thoughtful shoppers since 1975. All makers of their own craft and art pieces, weavers, metal smiths, Christmas ornaments and decorations, blown and etched glass, fabricated gold and silver jewelry, watercolors, photography,, clothing, soaps, instrument maker, lotions oils and soaps, leather hats, bets, buckles, and custom sign to name a few.
The “cottage” gourmet food specialties industry, (olive oils, candies, salsas, nuts, olives, peanut brittle, English toffee) has been a very popular addition to our shows. Don’t miss: Cowboy Toffee, Fudge It (wide variety of yummy flavors), cake mixes by Fabulous Fixins, wild honey by Gold Country Honey, and more. The Dog Biscuit Stockings by the Humane Society will be by the Main Stage.
Among the festival entertainers are:
* JOE CRAVEN TRIO (Camptown Band Saturday only) Friday, Saturday, & Sunday. Joe Craven plays a wild assortment of found and homemade instruments, will be staying all weekend to perform with most of the other bands. An eclectic "power trio" on Saturday consisting of keyboards (John R. Burr), key bass, drums (Kendrick Freeman), fiddle, mandolin, found sound and vocals, this celebration is a surprisingly full sound for a party of three, paying tribute to Traditional American Folk, Blues, New Orleans, Swing, Funk, as well as the music of Brazil, Haiti, Ireland, Cuba and Puerto Rico. The music is crisp, tight and full of groove.
* ACOUSTIC BLUES DUO TOM BALL & KENNY SULTAN (Saturday, Sunday), singing and playing on harmonica and guitar their fun versions of original and traditional music.
*TOM RIGNEY & FLAMBEAU (Friday) Rocking the festival with Cajun Zydeco, Blues, Rock, and Boogie Woogie.
* GOLDEN BOUGH (Friday and Saturday) performing Celtic music along with special Christmas program.
*SOURDOUGH SLIM (Friday, Saturday, and Sunday) The accordion playing cowboy offers nostalgic and novelty tunes, wit and wisdom of the Old West, taking you back to yesteryear.
*LITTLE FULLER BAND, local Americana string band music (Sunday only)
* MIRTH & GLEE SINGERS entertain you with everything from traditional carols to upbeat pop tunes in joyful a cappela harmony it is their 32nd year at the fair.
* FUNSTRUMMERS UKELELE ORCHESTRA of Modesto
· There is also the Street Performer/ Buskers Showcase featuring Captain Jack Spareribs “Pirates of the Caribbean” style entertainer, magic, ventriloquism, juggling, Flaming Torches, Spinning Bowls, Balancing Swords, knives, apples, bowling balls and more.
There is also a kids’ play area.