By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Arrest made in chase after SF officer shot
Placeholder Image

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Police said Sunday that they arrested the driver of a car that led them on a 90-mile chase throughout the San Francisco Bay Area after a police officer was shot and wounded.

The San Francisco Police Department announced that Jeffrey Ruano, 50, will be charged with assault with a deadly weapon, being a convicted felon in possession of ammunition, driving in excess of 100 miles per hour and evading a police officer. The two female passengers in Ruano’s car were released without being charged.

But police say the assault charge doesn’t stem from the officer’s shooting Saturday afternoon, and they wouldn’t say whether another suspect is still on the loose.

“While we do have an arrest, it’s still an active and open investigation,” police spokesman Gordon Shyy said, adding that they still believe a suspect fired on Officer Adam Shaw, 28.

Shyy said Shaw underwent surgery for a bullet wound to the shoulder and was recovering and in stable condition Sunday. He’s a six-year veteran of the department.

Shaw and his partner were responding to a vandalism report Saturday when they spotted a suspicious vehicle in San Francisco’s Mission District neighborhood. Shyy said that the car began to back up as Shaw approached, prompting his partner to fire several shots.

“An independent witness” heard shots fired from the car, Shyy said, so “we do believe that the officer was shot by a suspect.”

Ruano isn’t charged with shooting Shaw. Police say his charge of assault with a deadly weapon stems from him backing up on the officers and that the vehicle is supposedly the deadly weapon.

That car was found abandoned a couple of hours later in a Daly City shopping mall about 10 miles south of the shooting.

The discovery triggered a search involving several area law enforcement agencies, but a suspect wasn’t immediately found, Shyy said.

The mall remained open during the roughly three-hour search, but police stopped residents in the area from entering their homes.

The search continued late into the night, when San Francisco police spotted a vehicle also associated with the afternoon shooting. The officers followed the car out of the city and across the Bay Bridge before asking the California Highway Patrol to stop the car on Interstate 80 near Richmond. The car sped away when the CHP turned on its lights and attempted to stop the car. The chase finally ended about 12:30 a.m. Sunday in San Jose with Ruano and two unidentified women detained.