MENLO PARK SET TO CONSIDER FACEBOOK CAMPUS DEAL: MENLO PARK (AP) — Menlo Park officials are set to weigh in on the terms of an agreement to allow Facebook to build additional office space in the city.
The Palo Alto Daily News reports (http://bit.ly/Vbv3tf) that the deal is expected to go before the Menlo Park City Council on Tuesday. Under its terms, Facebook would pay the city $1.5 million over the next 10 years in addition to contributing $100,000 for local improvements.
The company would also have to restrict the number of vehicles going in and out of the new office, which would be built across the street from the company's current headquarters.
Facebook plans to put about 2,800 employees there.
The City Council is expected to vote on the actual project in March.
CIVIL TRIAL OVER SAN BRUNO GAS EXPLOSION DELAYED: SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Attorneys for victims of the deadly San Bruno pipeline explosion are meeting with Pacific Gas & Electric Co. to negotiate a possible global settlement to resolve the remaining civil suits filed in the wake of the blast.
San Mateo County Superior Court Judge Steven Dylina ordered the parties to meet earlier this week, hoping to avoid a costly and expensive trial.
The trial date had been set to begin next month but now that has been pushed off.
PG&E already has settled dozens of suits and is eager to resolve the outstanding 100 or so lawsuits. If the company went to trial it could face paying out huge punitive damage awards.
The Sept. 9, 2010 blast in San Bruno killed eight people, injured dozens and destroyed dozens of homes in the San Francisco suburb.
NEW CITY MANAGER DOESN'T WANT TO LIVE IN MANSION : ATHERTON (AP) — The new city manager of a wealthy Northern California community doesn't want to live in the city's mansion.
The Atherton City Council is now considering a hike in pay for George Rodericks, even though his contract calls for a salary of $160,000 and free housing valued at $60,000.
City leaders say they are surprised that Rodericks doesn't want to like in the town-owned mansion, which sits in the city's 22-acre Holbrook-Palmer Park.
The San Jose Mercury News (says Rodericks led the city to believe he would relocate by summer, after his daughter finished the school year.
But he changed his mind for unknown reasons and he wants a hike in pay to cover housing.
The City Council voted Wednesday to form an ad-hoc committee to make a decision.
SAN JOSE POLICE: KIDNAPPING STORY WAS MADE UP: SAN JOSE (AP) — A woman is facing possible charges after San Jose police say she acknowledged fabricating a story that a man tried to grab her toddler from her arms in her front yard.
The woman, who authorities have not identified, allegedly told police the man pulled at her 3-year-old girl's legs during the incident earlier this week, but she was able to get the girl away and run inside.
Police said on Thursday they brought the mom in for another interview after questions arose about elements of her story. They declined to be more specific.
The woman allegedly acknowledged that she had made the story up.
Officer Albert Morales tells the San Jose Mercury News (that investigators don't know what motivated her, but they are seeking a charge of filing a false police report.
STATE AGENCY INVESTIGATING SHIP BRIDGE ACCIDENT: SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — The California Board of Pilot Commissioners is now investigating the pilot of an empty tanker ship that sideswiped the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge.
The San Francisco Chronicle says the state agency voted Thursday to conduct a probe, which is expected to take about 90 days.
The U.S. Coast Guard is also conducting an investigation of the accident with assistance from the National Transportation Safety Board.
The pilot, Capt. Guy Kleess, was in control of the 752-foot Overseas Reymar when the oil tanker hit the western-span tower closest to Yerba Buena Island on Jan. 7.
There was more than $2 million damage to the tower's wooden fenders and the side of the ship was scraped. No oil was spilled and there were no injuries.
MANAGER SENTENCED TO JAIL IN WORKER TRACTOR DEATH: SANTA ROSA (AP) — A Sonoma County vineyard manager has been sentenced to 30 days in jail for removing a safety device in a tractor that overturned and killed a farmworker.
District Attorney Jill Ravitch said Thursday that 61-year-old James Poole of the Lodi-based Vino Farms Inc. has pleaded no contest to a misdemeanor violation of the Labor Code that prohibits removal of a manufacturer's safety device.
Poole was also ordered to do 80 hours of community service.
Prosecutors said the farmworker, 37-year-old Jose Antonio Ambriz-Luquin, tried to get out of the tractor but his clothing got caught in 2011. Because the tractor's "kill switch" had been removed, the tractor ran him over instead of shutting down.
As part of a court settlement, Vino Farms will also pay $100,000 to Ambriz-Luquin's family, $75,000 to the State of California and $25,000 to Ag Safe, a worker safety organization.