By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Placeholder Image

• MOM TELLS POLICE SHE STABBED INFANT SON: LIVERMORE (AP) — A young mother believed to be suffering from depression admitted to investigators that she stabbed her 7-month-old son to death in a Livermore park, police said Sunday.

Ashley Newton, 23, of San Jose was arrested Saturday on suspicion of murder, the East Bay Regional Parks District Police Department said in a statement.

The motive remains unclear, but Anderson said that Newton had a history of depression and appeared to have self-inflicted knife wounds on her wrist.

Police were called at 10:30 a.m. Saturday on reports of a damaged Honda sedan in the Del Valle Regional Park east of San Francisco. They found the car abandoned with the engine running and an empty child’s seat.

Officers were about to tow the car two hours later, believing it was involved in a hit-and-run, when Newton walked up to them holding her lifeless baby, Anderson said.

Officers tried to resuscitate the baby, but he was pronounced dead at the scene.

Newton was arrested after she made statements implicating herself in the stabbing, Anderson said, adding that investigators found a knife in the area that they believe was used in the alleged crime.

The stabbing occurred in a remote part of Camp Arroyo, the site of a popular children’s camp inside the 4,400-acre park south of Livermore.


• STORM DROPS UP TO 18 INCHES OF SNOW AT LAKE TAHOE: TRUCKEE (AP) — Winter doesn’t seem to want to go away in the Sierra.

The adjoining Squaw Valley and Alpine Meadows ski resorts just north of Lake Tahoe reported 18 inches of new snow over a 24-hour period ending Saturday morning and 32 inches of new snow over the last week.

But it’s too little too late.

The two resorts are among only a handful of Sierra ski areas still open after a winter that saw another snowpack that was well below average.

Also still operating lifts are Kirkwood just south of Lake Tahoe and Mammoth Mountain just east of Yosemite National Park.

The Sierra snowpack that provides a third of California’s drinking water was only at 32 percent of normal as the state heads toward the dry summer months.


• 4-YEAR-OLD HURT AFTER DRY ICE EXPLOSION ON FIELD: PARAMOUNT (AP) — Authorities say a 16-year-old boy has been arrested on suspicion of causing a dry ice explosion on a high school baseball field that injured a 4-year-old.

The Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department says the juvenile, whose name was not released, lived near the high school in Paramount, about 15 miles southeast of downtown Los Angeles.

The toddler was playing Thursday night when he picked up a plastic soda bottle that exploded. He suffered cuts to his chest and arm. He was hospitalized and later released.


• 2 PLANES COLLIDE OVER NORTHERN SAN FRANCISCO BAY: RICHMOND (AP) — Two small planes collided over the northern part of the San Francisco Bay, leaving a pilot missing after only one of the aircraft landed safely.

Coast Guard spokeswoman Loumania Stewart says a water search is underway after debris was spotted in San Pablo Bay following the Sunday afternoon collision.

Federal Aviation Administration spokesman Ian Gregor says the collision off the city of Richmond involved a Cessna 210 and a Hawker Sea Fury TMK 20. Each aircraft had one person on board.

He says the Cessna crashed into the water and the pilot of the Hawker was able to land safely at a small airport in Northern California. The pilot was reportedly uninjured.


• MOUNTAIN CLIMBERS SCALING ICE HURT IN FALL: BISHOP (AP) — Authorities say a pair of climbers scaling ice in California’s eastern Sierra Nevada mountains had to be rescued by helicopter after they both fell and suffered major injuries.

The 49-year-old woman fell mid-Sunday afternoon on ice shoots near Red Lake, breaking her leg. She pulled down her 52-year-old climbing companion, who hit his head. The pair from Salt Lake City, Utah, told authorities they weren’t sure how far they tumbled.

The California Highway Patrol says the Inyo County Sheriff’s Department asked the CHP helicopter to rescue the climbers from an elevation of 12,000 feet in windy conditions.

The pair was flown from the mountainside and taken by ambulance to a nearby hospital.

Authorities say it is unlikely the injured climbers would have survived a cold night on the mountain.