• Man arrested for puppy dragging death: LAKE ELSINORE (AP) — A Southern California man who allegedly dragged his puppy behind a pickup truck and then ran it over has been arrested on suspicion of animal cruelty.
Victor Perez Guzman of Lake Elsinore was booked Monday.
The Riverside County Sheriff’s Department says it got reports Friday night that a dog tied to the bed of a pickup was alternately running and being dragged down the street.
Deputy Tommy Mix says witnesses yelled at the driver to stop but instead he backed into his driveway, running over the dog and killing it.
The Chihuahua mix was three or four months old. Mix says the driver told deputies the puppy’s death was an accident but authorities don’t believe him.
• CAR CRASHES INTO ORANGE COUNTY PIE SHOP; 4 INJURED: LAGUNA HILLS (AP) — Four people are injured after an 88-year-old woman crashed her sedan into a Southern California restaurant during the lunch rush hour.
Orange County Fire Authority Capt. Steve Concialdi says Monday that the female driver was hospitalized with minor leg injuries after the accident at Polly’s Pies in Laguna Hills.
Three people inside the restaurant were also injured, including an 88-year-old woman with serious head trauma and a 68-year-old man with a back injury.
A fourth person, a woman, suffered a minor head injury.
• LA ATTORNEY FACES SUSPENSION OVER DOCTORED PHOTOS: LOS ANGELES (AP) — A judge has recommended a six-month suspension for a Los Angeles attorney who posted doctored photos on her firm’s website that show her with high-profile people such as President Obama, Hillary Clinton and George Clooney.
In an 18-page decision this month, Judge Donald Miles said Svitlana Sangary failed to remove the images after a State Bar warning that they were false advertising; disregarded the disciplinary process and responded to the charges with a 16-page soliloquy that had little or nothing to do with the case.
The California Supreme Court will decide on the recommendation.
In a rambling statement to The Associated Press, Sangary implied that the photos were genuine. The attorney says she was photographed with “talented and successful people” at charity and political events and provided a photo link.
• TRUCK FLIES 50 FEET OFF FREEWAY IN SAN DIEGO: SAN DIEGO (AP) — Fire officials say a driver was seriously hurt when his pickup truck flew off a San Diego freeway onramp and crashed into a restaurant parking lot 50 feet below.
A Fire & Rescue crew used extraction tools to pry the man from the wreckage of his Ford F-350 on Sunday.
Officials say the man was conscious when taken to a hospital with possible neck and back trauma.
The newspaper reports the California Highway Patrol is investigating witness reports that the pickup might have spun out when it was struck from behind by a vehicle that continued northbound on Interstate 8.
The truck went over the guardrail and struck the back wall of a Dave & Buster’s restaurant before landing upright in the parking lot.
• BOYFRIEND DETAINED AFTER WOMAN’S BODY FOUND IN CAR: MONROVIA (AP) — Los Angeles County sheriff’s officials say a woman was found dead in a vehicle in the backyard of a Monrovia home and her boyfriend was detained at the scene.
Deputy Amber Smith says authorities received a call Sunday from the boyfriend’s parents, who were concerned about the welfare of their son and his girlfriend.
Monrovia police officers conducting a welfare check found the body inside the vehicle.
After contacting the man at the residence, officers detained him for questioning.