SLAIN NORCAL CARJACKING SUSPECT HAD TROUBLED PAST: SACRAMENTO (AP) — A man fatally shot by police after leading officers on a 14-hour manhunt that shut down one of Northern California's busiest freeways had a criminal past and struggled with addiction.
Family members of 38-year-old Jimmy Lee Graves said that his marriage was failing and that he was awaiting trial on felony robbery charges.
Graves' uncle, Ed Graves, said his nephew had trouble holding down a job, and had struggled with a painkiller addiction.
His brother-in-law Mario Albornoz said Graves had a 5-year-old son, but that his marriage to the mother was dissolving.
The former smog-check technician was fatally shot Friday at an apartment in Arden Arcade after police said he went on a carjacking spree, one of which ended in a crash on Interstate 80.
VESSELS ASSEMBLE TO HONOR YACHT CREW LOST IN RACE: BELVEDERE COVE (AP) — Dozens of boats floated on a Northern California cove assembled in memory of five sailors dead and missing after a yacht accident near the Farallon Islands.
More than 100 vessels came out to honor the sailors from the San Francisco Yacht Club whose 38-foot yacht was struck by heavy surf during an April 14 race.
The sound of bagpipes playing "Danny Boy" and five gunshots filled the air.
The U.S. Coast Guard called off its search last week for 26-year-old Alexis Busch; 25-year-old Jordan Fromm; 32-year-old Elmer Morrissey, 32; and 36-year-old Alan Cahill.
MAGNITUDE-3.2 QUAKE STRIKES CENTRAL CALIF.: SAN JUAN BAUTISTA (AP) — An earthquake with a preliminary magnitude of 3.2 has struck San Benito County in Central California.
The United States Geological Survey says the earthquake about five miles southeast of San Juan Bautista and 44 miles southeast of San Jose struck at 8:19 a.m. Saturday.
A dispatcher fielding calls for the San Benito County Sheriff's Office said his office had not received any calls regarding the earthquake.
CALIF. 'RUDEST WAITER' EATERY MAY STAY OPEN: SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — A San Francisco Chinese restaurant once known for having "the world's rudest waiter" may not be closing for good after all.
The owners of Sam Wo restaurant are scheduled to plead their case to the city's Public Health Department at a hearing on Tuesday.
Owner David Ho's daughter, Julie, said that the restaurant will be closed over the weekend, but nothing is definite beyond that.
Health officials had demanded changes after finding violations including rodent activity, but the restaurant's owners had said the 100-year-old, hole-in-the-wall eatery in Chinatown was just too old. They had planned to serve their last meals early Saturday.
At Tuesday's meeting, the owners must present their plans to bring the restaurant back up to code, Health Department spokeswoman Eileen Shields told the Chronicle. Those plans would then have to be approved and implemented before Sam Wo could reopen.
Word of the restaurant's closing saddened its customers, who lined up down the block to get a seat at one of its eight lunch tables on Friday.