Manteca could have a new councilman tonight.
The City Council will discuss filling the remaining two years of Steve DeBrum’s term as a councilman following his election to mayor when they meet tonight at 7 o’clock at the Civic Center, 1001 W. Center St.
Should the council make an appointment to fill the unexpired term, the appointee would need to accept the appointment.
The appointment would not become official until the oath of office is administered. The oath can be administered at the City Clerk’s office or at a special meeting of the City Council. The Jan. 6 meeting of the council is proposed to be cancelled due to the furlough schedule.
Other appointments on the agenda tonight include:
• filling the rest of Mike Morowit’s term on the planning commission that became vacant with his election to the City Council. Six submitted applications on time: Jose Nuno, Roberto Alaniz, Leonard Smith, Jeffrey Zellner, Bobby Shaw, and Parminder Singh Sahi. Two applicants submitted the required form after the deadline: Gurminder (Gary) Singh and Kenneth Koopomans.
• filling two vacancies on the Manteca Senior Advisory Committee. There are two applicants: Tom Stewart and David Byrd.
• filling a vacancyy on the Manteca Youth Advisory Commission. There is one applicant: Roshni Anil Mathew.
• filling the vacancy on the San Joaquin County Mosquito and Vector Control Board following the resignation of Jack Snyder. Glenn Page is the only applicant.
• filling a seat on the Manteca Parks and Recreation Commission. The only applicant is Griffin Cheek.
In addition the council will be seeking applications to fill three vacancies on the Public Safety Sales Tax Oversight Committee. Two vacancies were created with the election of Morowit and Richard Silverman to the City Council. The third happened when Gus Rueb moved out of the city in August.