By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Honey dos before the I do
Placeholder Image

EDITOR’S NOTE: Joshua Messersmith has been selected to participate in the Year of You, a fitness challenge hosted by The Manteca Bulletin, CORE Athletic Performance and CalFit Manteca. Messersmith is keeping a weekly journal, highlighting the strides and struggles of his fitness journey. These are his thoughts and feelings shared with you.


Day 64

Even though I knew there was a slim chance of me making my workout, I was prepared to have a successful day. I woke up on time and was still not feeling 100 percent, but I was ready to take on anything thrown my way. I prepared myself breakfast before heading off to work. Once I arrived I looked at the schedule to see what my chances were of going home at the end of my shift. The schedule was not promising and I ended up staying for another uneventful 16-hour shift yet again! Through the first half of my shift my stomach was upset so I drank more water than usual to see if it would help. It felt as if something I had eaten this past weekend had upset my stomach. Once I got off I went straight home to get rest for the next day. Thankfully I had prepared all of my meals, which made my eating choices easy and healthy.


Day 65

Surprisingly, I woke up on time again and full of energy. I started my morning off as usual with eggs with turkey meat and a protein shake.  I headed off to work knowing that I was not going to have to stay for another 16-hour shift and that I would get off in time to get my workout in and still make it to my sister’s game. Once I was off of work, I texted Robert for the workout of the day and in that text I was told the best thing ever: “No cardio this week!” Music to my ears. I was going to be able to just lift all week! Score! I picked up my sister and took her to her game. I then rushed to CORE to get my back and bicep workout in. This week we went heavy with less reps. I could easily feel the difference in the workout today compared to previous workouts.  


Day 66

I got an early start today and ended up going to CORE at 5 a.m. to get my first workout in.  It was chest and tricep day.  I usually love this day but today it was a struggle. I then returned home to sleep for a few hours before going to my grandparents’ to help my papa (grandpa) put up fence posts for the backyard. When I got to my grandparents, I saw my 4-year-old brother attempting to help my papa with the fence post. The whole time we were putting up the post, my brother just wanted me to make concrete so he could spray the water on it to mix it. Once I was done at my grandparents, I headed home to where I was pretty much forced to do the yard work before doing anything else for the day. These “honey do’s” aren’t supposed to start until after the “I do!” right? Wrooong! After I was done with that I went inside and prepared myself a grilled turkey sandwich for lunch. After devouring my lunch, I decided to take a short nap before going to CORE. My second workout of the day ended up being shoulders and abs. This workout went much smoother even though my elbow was feeling sore once again. 


Day 67

I began my day at CORE at 10:30 a.m. It was leg day, the best day of the week. I saw the workout on the board and did not think it was a terrible workout until I looked closer and saw that we had to do weighted lunges between every single set! Is he trying to kill me? Of course my competitive nature got the best of me and I still went heavy on my squats and straight leg dead lifts even though my legs were getting tired quickly with the super-sets of lunges. After I completed my workout, I went to lunch with Robert and one of the college athletes he trains. We ended up going to Taqueria Manteca and I had a burrito but it was not a “cheat” meal because it stayed within my macro limit for the day. Once lunch was over I went to my grandparents once again to do the yard work this time. After getting that done quickly I rushed home to do a little more yard work at my house. I am digging up our side yard to prepare it for a new look. Once all the digging was done I went inside to get ready to go see my sisters game against Sierra.  She had a great game and her team came away with the victory. Once the game was over I headed home to finally relax on my so called day off. 


Day 68

Well, I had every intention of waking up at 5 a.m. this morning but my body put on the natural snooze button and I slept through both my alarms. When I finally woke up I began to do my meal prep by defrosting all meats then cooking my vegetables and quinoa before heading off to CORE for the 10:30 a.m. class. Robert then told me that I was going to play Frisbee as my workout for the day. It was a fun game, I got to play with the 10:30 bootcamp and it was a great workout. Once the game was over, I rushed home to prepare my chicken, ground turkey and fish. I weighed and measured all my portion sizes before putting them in each container. I completed my meal prep then went to get ready for work. When my work day was about to end I was told once again that I had to stay for work and had to go to the hospital. It was somewhat of a short trip but still threw my day off a little. I finally got to go home early the next morning.


Day 69 

Again I was planning on getting up early and going to CORE to help assist in setting up for the big grand opening event next Saturday, April 4. But because I did not get home until the early morning I ended up sleeping through my alarms once again. When I finally did wake up, I felt bad about not going but had to get up and get ready for another 16-hour shift. 


Day 70

Well, I did not get home until 6:30 a.m. and was asleep by 7. I woke up in time to get ready for work and go enjoy an easy shift. I am ready for another day, another week for this journey and want to once again thank you all for your support.