By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
BOYS HOOPS: East Union gets even
Howe, Lee anchor Lancers’ overtime win over Sierra
Bulletin sports 2020-21
East Union’s Bryan Howe shoots from long range over the defense of Sierra’s Ryan Borgeson on Friday at Dalben Center. - photo by SEAN KAHLER

East Union needed overtime Friday to get past visiting Sierra.

The Lancers avenged the previous-night loss to their rival, coming away with a 64-59 Valley Oak League victory at the Dalben Center.

"We wanted to go out and play aggressive," said first-year East Union High coach Charles Legan, referring to the second-half play.

He added: "We had some matchups that we liked."

The Lancers (1-1 VOL, 2-1 overall) played in spurts in the first half, but then went on the attack after the intermission.

Despite getting to the free-throw line on numerous occasions, East Union still trailed through most of the game.

The Timberwolves (2-2 VOL) went on a 9-0 run in the first, getting baskets by senior Ryan Borgeson and a put-back by Diego Montes, who controlled the boards throughout the game by tallying 14 rebounds.

Sophomore guard Arvin Chohan kept Sierra ahead in the second, nailing a pair of 3s and scoring off a steal.

Down 26-22, the Lancers, who were paced by Bryan Howe's 11 first-half points, continued to look inside for their 6-foot-1 junior forward in the third.

Dylan Lee, Luke Weaver and Justin Bennett also went on the attack, with each also ending up at the free throw line.

Sierra had stayed on top thanks to 3s by Borgeson and Chohan — both finished with 17 points — and, after a pair of free throws by David Cumberworth, had built up a 49-41 advantage midway through the fourth.

"We should have put them away," said Timberwolves coach Eddie Morales. "But then we took some bad shots and had some turnovers."

East Union went to its press but Sierra managed to break through with easy baskets by Semaj Moore and Chohan.

Down by eight in waning minutes, Lee connected on a 3, Howe added two more inside to make it a one-possession game, 53-50.

Weaver came up with the big play in the final 40 seconds of regulation, stealing a pass off the press and quickly finding Howe for the game-tying corner trey.

In the overtime, Bennett set-up Weaver's basket, giving East Union its first lead since early in the game.

Bennett and Lee, who got a pass from Weaver, both had buckets to give the Lancers a 61-56 edge.

Jack Cunial then connected on a rainbow 3 to provide a glimmer of hope for the Timberwolves.

Lee, who finished with 19 points, secured the win with three-point play.

Howe led all scorers with 23 points. Weaver tallied seven points and eight rebounds.

For Sierra, Montes had 10 and Moore chipped in with six points, five boards and a steal.

Junior varsity

East Union 57, Sierra 55

Ray Carson's put-back basket at the buzzer won it for the Lancers.

He finished with 10 points. Teammates Anthony Sy and Ian Rodgriguez led the way with 20 and 17, respectively.