• MVP: Brennon Williams, Oakdale, Sr.
• Best Offensive POY: Steven Gigli, East Union, Jr.
• Co-Coaches of the Year: Hondo Arpoika, Oakdale; Dan Triglia, East Union.
• First team: P — Russell Longworth, Oakdale, Sr.; Jordan Kron, East Union, So.; Kevin Peck, Manteca, Sr. C — Dylan Fernandez, Sonora, Jr. INF — Akiha Etu, Weston Ranch, Sr.; Justin Dias, East Union, Sr.; Daniel Miramontes, Manteca, Jr.; Dylan DeBrouwer, Sierra, Sr.; Braydon Stephens, Oakdale, Sr. OF — Wyatt Johnson, Sonora, Jr.; Nathan O’Leary, Sierra, Sr.; Mark Ortiz, Oakdale, Jr.; Pablo Chavez, Lathrop, Jr. UTIL — Gabe Rellamas, Manteca, Sr.
• Second team: P — Zac Carrillo, East Union, Jr.; Matt Butler, Oakdale Sr.; C — Ronnie Limas, East Union, Sr.; INF — Andy Morris, Oakdale, Jr.; Kody Simmons, Oakdale, Jr.; Alex Arreola, Sierra, Sr.; Ryan Emerald, Sonora, Sr. OF — Kris Bartlett, Kimball, So.; Spencer Thomas, Oakdale, So.; Caleb Young, Sierra, Sr.
The Valley Oak League’s co-champions swept the major awards in the year-end coaches meeting.
East Union’s Steven Gigli was named Best Offensive Player of the Year, while head coach Dan Triglia shares Coach of the Year honors with Oakdale High’s Hondo Arpoika. Standout pitcher Brennon Williams of Oakdale is the Most Valuable Player.
East Union and Oakdale both went 11-3 in what was the tightest and deepest race in recent VOL history. The title is Oakdale’s fifth in row. Both clubs begin the Sac-Joaquin Section Division-IV playoffs next Thursday at Tony Zupo Field in Lodi.
Third-place Manteca High, the league’s final playoff qualifier, finished a game behind the co-leaders, while Sierra and Sonora each went 8-6. Kimball of Tracy turned in a respectable 6-8 record for a first-year varsity squad, which split its two-game series with Oakdale at the start of the conference season.
Gigli hit for a .529 average in 14 league contests and is at .542 overall. The junior outfielder also roped 11 extra-base hits (nine doubles, two homers) drove in 18 runs and plated 18 others.
East Union sophomore standout pitcher Jordan Kron (4-2, 1.51 ERA, 41 strikeouts in 37 innings) and senior second baseman Justin Dias (.383, 11 RBIs) join Gigli on the all-league first team.
Manteca also landed three on the first team. Senior Kevin Peck (5-1, 0.40, 43 K’s in 35 IP) is having a breakout season on the mound and was arguably one of the top two hurlers of the VOL. Junior third baseman Daniel Miramontes (.432, 15 RBIs, seven doubles, four triples) repeats as a first-team selection, and Gabe Rellamas (.424) makes the list as a utility infielder.
For Sierra, senior shortstop Dylan DeBrouwer (.447, two HRs, 16 runs, eight steals) and senior outfielder Nathan O’Leary (.462, two HRs) earned first-team recognition.
Senior first baseman Akiha Etu (.450) is Weston Ranch’s only player voted to the first team, and senior outfielder Pablo Chavez (.346) is the first from Lathrop to be honored.
Area athletes on the all-VOL second team are: East Union junior pitcher Zac Carrillo, East Union senior catcher Ronnie Limas, Sierra senior middle infielder Alex Arreola and Sierra senior outfielder Caleb Young.
Two notable names not on the list are seniors Matt Burrows and Michael Timmins both of Manteca. Burrows is the 2010 Offensive Player of the Year, while Timmins was selected to the all-VOL first team.